1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR100 - or - Marantz SR4200?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by csayers, Apr 3, 2002.

Tags:
  1. csayers

csayers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So this weekend I am going to part with some of my hard earned cash. I am looking for a surround sound amp that I will use with a set of FS2's and have narrowed the choice to either an AVR100 or SR4200.

The way I see it the AVR100 probably has the better component set but the SR4200 supports Prologic II.

I will use the setup 50/50 for music and movies and have alot of MP3's on my PC that I can output via S/PDIF and so use the amps internal DAC for decoding.

What is you guys experience of these amps, what does anyone think I should purchase?

Help gratefully appreciated,

Chris.

2. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've listened to the SR4200, though only briefly and it's a great receiver, I also own the AVR100.

If you want Pro-Logic II then you have no option. ;)

However if you spend fifty per cent of your time listening to music then (IMHO) the Arcam has excellent - for a surround amp for it's price (even when it was £800) - stereo music quality.

The Arcam is also great in both DD and DTS. The Marantz is also very good here. If this constitutes most of your movie diet I would go with the Arcam.

However if most of your movies are TV/Video then I suspect the Marantz may win. I don't do a lot of Pro-logic video/TV listening but I suspect that PLII would be a benefit here.

Otherwise, I say the Arcam. But, as always, listen and choose your favourite!

Charles.

3. csayers

csayers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help Charles, you reinforced what I thought already, however I have also considered 2 other points:

1. Is the SR4200 only available in black and gold (I hate gold separates!) or is there a silver version?

2. How good is Prologic II when listing to Digital TV, ITV Digital - but not for much longer :) ?

4. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    1. No, gold or black for marantz. Yamaha have some new stuff out this month, which is DPLII, for similar money to the Sr4200. In Titanium or Black. Panasonic also have some new receivers out this month (No longer badged technics), again, DPLII for similar money, silver or black.

Sony and Pioneer also have DPL2 models due later in summer in black and silver, so if you really cannot live with gold, you might be well waiting for at least the Yamahas and panas to show up (although I`d go for the Yamaha option!).

Hope that helps?

5. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Marantz has CS5.1 though which is very good.

A good comparison is :

Prologic II :DD
    CS5.1 :DTS

Are there any other Marantz owners who can comment ??.

One thing I would say is that there has been a bad lot of the Marantz, so demo it and say 'I'll have that one please', things to watch out for that are well written here but basically S-Video problems and popping in the sound.

I'm happy with my SR7200 though. :)

6. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    The "bad" batch were only really due to the wonderfull nation grid we have in the UK, they are designed for 230V with a small tolerence, but theres areas in the UK where the UK mains is actually 263vac or higher, which caused the popping and other problems. The most reported problems are form the orignal US launch, which didn`t affect the UK models...

Given the good reviews, amount of returns that we have had (hardly any!), and the spec for the money the Marantz models are hard to beat, even though marantz put the prices up last month!

7. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cool,

So I haven't lost out in buying it last year then, even wierder is that I live in Aberdeen and our AC is higher than normal, touch wood and fingers crossed.

:)