1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam avr100 - How much better than current faves??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tobytronic, Oct 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. tobytronic

tobytronic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a Arcam DV88 and AVR100 for yrs but since getting rid of my Kef full size spkrs :oops: (Q55's,Q95c and Model 60's) i bought some kef eggs.(which i can't quite get the setup sorted for) The question is...

If i get rid of the arcam pair would a Denon 2805 (or similar) and a top class Sony HD/DVD Recorder cut the mustard??

The Philip 28" TV is also likely to make way for a new 32" Pixel Plus 2 LCD model. So , am i mad but a listening comparision of these items would be impossible with all the variables so what does everyone think??

Are older pricey items better than modern slightly cheaper ones?? And am i looking at the right items to change to??

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I know the 100/200 amps aren't considered to be the best thing since sliced bread and are tweaked OEM units effectively.

I'm just trying to show that the Arcam kit from then is thought highly of by quite a few people.

Simple answer really is to dem a Denon set up say and judge.

But I'd say if you are happy with things the way they are, resist the urge to change f you don't need too. Trust me, I've failed many times on that front.:)

4. tobytronic

tobytronic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have to change but i feel that the Arcam is not quite right. It may be its config with the eggs (which suffer from the worst manual ever). I thought a new tack would be simpler.

What are your thoiughts on the DV88 - has this been surpasses now or does it still hold up??

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If you 'had' to change the DV88, look at the DV89 for £599 from www.creative-audio.co.uk or one of the packages they sell.

Personally, I'd always stick with Arcam DVD players. I believe they make the amongst the best available anywhere.

I've had a DV88+, a DV27 and now a DV27a and from experience can say unless you are paying £££££££££'s you won't find better. Only my opinion of course.:)

There is nothing wrong with the DV88 unless you need DVD-A or want a progressive scan output.