Arcam AVR10 - Should I stay or change to Denon AVC - X6700

Russyo26

Standard Member
Reaction score
Not posted for some time but just completed replacement of my Home Theatre but had issues with my new receiver, Arcam AVR 10. Professionally installed and Dirac setup, but had various sound issues including clicking sound in speakers and other noises, but Arcam through dealer suggested firmware problem. Firmware changed and problem resolved, except now sometimes get sound drop when watching Sky. If broadcast changes from stereo 2.0 to surround 3/2.1, amp does not always pick up and no sound until you press audio button on remote to switch Dirac off and back on and sound returns and also displays 3/2.1 . For the money spent, new TV, Atmos speakers, new centre and front speakers, plus 4k DVD player and added turntable and phono stage its disappointing to say the least. Service from dealer and installer excellent, and offered to change amp to Denon AVC X6700, however concerned I may lose sound quality especially on turntable when playing vinyl (MC cartridge).

Should I wait for software fix and put up with the inconvenience of pressing audio button on remote, or take the offer of switching from AVR 10 to X6700?

Its a difficult one, and what happens if different problems keep occurring?

You should ask here about the bug:

While i ago i saw many AVR10 returned to dealer. We have many members who just couldn´t live with these AVR10-30 units, some bugs are fixed then new ones arise.

2ch sound quality in mind you should also consider Marantz SR8015 which is slightly better version of X6700H! You do get more channels/processing and more powerfull unit than Arcam that works without bugs.

Honestly I believe the Denon, certainly with stereo music, will be a backward move. I have the X6500 and use a HT by-pass capable stereo amp for my music use. With those two in place I have trouble free film and TV listening, no bugs, no set up issues something that would drive me round the bend. There is no way that Audyssey is anywhere near as good as Dirac.

Try and push for the Marantz SR8015 if you can. Will certainly be better than the Denon for music but still behind the Arcam.

Not posted for some time but just completed replacement of my Home Theatre but had issues with my new receiver, Arcam AVR 10. Professionally installed and Dirac setup, but had various sound issues including clicking sound in speakers and other noises, but Arcam through dealer suggested firmware problem. Firmware changed and problem resolved, except now sometimes get sound drop when watching Sky. If broadcast changes from stereo 2.0 to surround 3/2.1, amp does not always pick up and no sound until you press audio button on remote to switch Dirac off and back on and sound returns and also displays 3/2.1 . For the money spent, new TV, Atmos speakers, new centre and front speakers, plus 4k DVD player and added turntable and phono stage its disappointing to say the least. Service from dealer and installer excellent, and offered to change amp to Denon AVC X6700, however concerned I may lose sound quality especially on turntable when playing vinyl (MC cartridge).

Should I wait for software fix and put up with the inconvenience of pressing audio button on remote, or take the offer of switching from AVR 10 to X6700?

So are these AVR10s really that bad or is it a lottery between them?
I'm toying with buying a 2nd hand one that is about 8months old. I don't think it has been upgraded to latest firmware but I also can't audition it before buying it as it's not that local to me.

I'm toying with buying a 2nd hand one that is about 8months old. I don't think it has been upgraded to latest firmware but I also can't audition it before buying it as it's not that local to me.

Still seems to be some trouble for some users (Not all) with some Sky Q boxes and Apple TV. Roku, Shield, Kodi, BD players etc. are fine.

Last edited:
Hello, I come from a denon 8500h that was majestic in film and in music, it defended itself quite well but I was always missing something and I warmed up with arcam and dirac and I took the step to an avr20 and the truth sounds great on both sides but it is an avr a half finished and has many errors (and less) that many people would not want to have ... I do not regret the change but to go back perhaps I would sacrifice a little SQ that I have gained with the arcam and change it from being calm as I was with the 8500 That is why I tell you that if you are not happy I encourage you to change.

If you are going to buy one get new with 5 year warranty as I wouldn’t trust 2nd hand for such an item unless it came with dealer warranty.

also update the firmware using a fat32 format usb stick after downloading the latest firmware from Arcam’s site and do a factory reset afterwards.

Last edited:

To sky
I actually came from a Denon x4700 to an AVR10 then changed to AVR20 and I had more hdmi handshaking issues with the Denon so don’t assume it will be a silver bullet! The answer might be to get your sky box swapped out for a newer version as other people have complained about this on many different AVRs and it points to sky being the issue.

with the latest 1.46 firmware I’m finding the Arcam very stable so far.

Last edited:
Thank you for comments/suggestions. The unit has been changed and now I have different problems, the worst being that the Dirac EQ is stuck in off mode. Have unplugged, tried to change on the toggle switch and in the input menu. Off is highlighted and the bar refuses to move to my living room settings. Latest suggestion is to change to Marantz or Anthem. Is there much difference between 7015 and 8015. Really disappointing as the sound is great when it is working, but it’s a lot of money for a unit that does not work properly.

Is there much difference between 7015 and 8015. Really disappointing as the sound is great when it is working, but it’s a lot of money for a unit that does not work properly.

Power output wise not that much. 8015 has 11 amplification vs. 7015 has 9. Also 8015 allows you to run larger system due to 13.2 processing and DTS:X Pro. 8015 is made in Japan.

Thank you. I am running 5.1 with 2 upfiring atmos speakers on my floor standers. Will never be adding more speakers as room not big enough.
2 x floor standers, 1 x centre, 2 x surround sound, 1 x sub 2 x Atmos speakers. Turntable has dedicated phono stage as using MC cart.

Thank you for comments/suggestions. The unit has been changed and now I have different problems, the worst being that the Dirac EQ is stuck in off mode. Have unplugged, tried to change on the toggle switch and in the input menu. Off is highlighted and the bar refuses to move to my living room settings. Latest suggestion is to change to Marantz or Anthem. Is there much difference between 7015 and 8015. Really disappointing as the sound is great when it is working, but it’s a lot of money for a unit that does not work properly.
That's probably because you have changed your crossover setting in the menu after the dirac calibration

I've been researching AVR's for months now (still not bought a new one yet) and most AVR's on the market have their own issues.
From what I've gathered from the various forums on here:
  • Arcam AV10-30: Great Sound quality, has DIRAC but lots of problems
  • NAD T778: As above, also has DIRAC - but also with speaker popping noises
  • Anthem MRX range: Great sound again and ARC room correction seems to be well-liked, but some issues with fan noise and are in low supply
  • Marantz SR7015/8015: Not as great sounding as above but still good. Relatively bug-free, but Inelegant work-around for HDMI 2.1 (if you're a gamer). People seem to favour ARC/Dirac over Audyssey
  • Denon 6700: as the Marantz, but not as good with 2 channel audio

Honestly I believe the Denon, certainly with stereo music, will be a backward move. I have the X6500 and use a HT by-pass capable stereo amp for my music use. With those two in place I have trouble free film and TV listening, no bugs, no set up issues something that would drive me round the bend. There is no way that Audyssey is anywhere near as good as Dirac.

Try and push for the Marantz SR8015 if you can. Will certainly be better than the Denon for music but still behind the Arcam.
This isn’t easy. Got the SR6015 a few days ago and agree Audyssey didn’t do a good job. Had to adjust and bought their $20 app, but haven’t used it yet. not loving the Marantz. And the little round info window is useless. Braille would be better.

While not a fair comparison, I AB’d the SR6015 against the AVR10. Wonderful difference. I was going to return the Marantz and get the AVR10, but fear the bugs I’m reading here.

Is there a list of reported AVR bugs ?

My issue was identified as my Sky Q box. New AVR 10, latest firmware. All good except when Sky switch from stereo to surround sound which then drops. Pause and play fixes this. Stereo performance with turntable and phono stage is excellent. Sky box being changed on Friday so hopefully final issue will be resolved.

I've been researching AVR's for months now (still not bought a new one yet) and most AVR's on the market have their own issues.
From what I've gathered from the various forums on here:
  • Arcam AV10-30: Great Sound quality, has DIRAC but lots of problems
  • NAD T778: As above, also has DIRAC - but also with speaker popping noises
  • Anthem MRX range: Great sound again and ARC room correction seems to be well-liked, but some issues with fan noise and are in low supply
  • Marantz SR7015/8015: Not as great sounding as above but still good. Relatively bug-free, but Inelegant work-around for HDMI 2.1 (if you're a gamer). People seem to favour ARC/Dirac over Audyssey
  • Denon 6700: as the Marantz, but not as good with 2 channel audio
Thanks Dave,

Can you list the problems? I really prefer Arcam over Marantz, but need to know the issues I would be facing. THanks

@shmerls have you setup your system yet with the app? Would be foolish to make judgement before you have setup it correctly. As you have just ran the auto setup so there is lot more to come and it will sound lot better after some tweaks.

Watch this clip from 23:10 forward listen it to end it won´t take much time. You will see what settings you have to tweak with the app. If you have time watch the whole clip there is good information.

I listened to the SR6015 against the AVR10, which probably wasn't a fair comparison, but I really like the Arcan better. I heard them both thru BW 720s. I would like to get the Arcan over the Marantz but hearing some here found problems/bugs and would like to get an idea of what those are to see if I'd be better off going with Marantz since they are reportedly more stable. If the bugs or problems are not biggies, then I definitely prefer the Class A Arcan over the Class B Marantz'

Can you (or anyone) advise what problems the Arcans have? Many thanks.

You have no idea how they were setup in hifi shop*, that´s why it would be important to do the tweaks which are necessary to make it sound good.

* Was Marantz in Pure Direct mode or was it 2ch stereo mode? If the latter then i assume Audussey was on and the full range correction isn`t prefered often. That is why you have the app to make the necessary changes.

I think Arcam has software related bugs. Many has returned them and went back to Denon/Marantz/Yamaha/Anthem. @fallinlight had the AVR30 and it was quite buggy, not sure did the unit have other issues too?

Thanks Dave,

Can you list the problems? I really prefer Arcam over Marantz, but need to know the issues I would be facing. THanks
I think it's best if you check put the forums for those models as the list of problems changes all the time. I get the impression that Arcam seems much more stable now and could be worth look.

I took the plunge myself a few weeks ago on a Marantx SR8015 and couldn't be happier. It's rock-solid in terms of reliability and sounds great as well.

@Gasp3621 - thanks! You’re correct!. I didn’t think to check. I’m going back to BB Magnolia to AB the SRr6015, SR7015 and AVR10 all into B&W 702s. This time I’ll check settings like Pure Direct, etc it’s the best I can find for a field test ‘round here.

Whilst my AVR500 has gone back to Arcam to be repaired (again) I've bought a Marantz SR6015. Agree the porthole is useless! Soundwise? With cinema/movies it's very good, with music and live gig dvd's I'd rate it as below average to actually quite poor. Which is therefore my dilemma. When I get the Arcam back what do I do? Plan A is to flog it and buy something new but there appear to be so many AVR amps out there with problems......

Whilst my AVR500 has gone back to Arcam to be repaired (again) I've bought a Marantz SR6015. Agree the porthole is useless! Soundwise? With cinema/movies it's very good, with music and live gig dvd's I'd rate it as below average to actually quite poor. Which is therefore my dilemma. When I get the Arcam back what do I do? Plan A is to flog it and buy something new but there appear to be so many AVR amps out there with problems......
Difficult choice. For good multi channel music your should be looking at the Denon X8500 or the Marantz SR8015 if you're disappointed with the 6015. If you drop down a tier then it's the aforementioned Denon X6700. Look at the new Yamaha models, when they come out but it's such a difficult time to buy and certainly to get a good deal.

If you listen to more stereo music than multi channel then you could take advantage of the 6015's pre-outs and run a stereo amp with HT by-pass. My Denon X6500 (X6700) does a fair job with multi channel SACD, etc., although is somewhat poor with stereo presentation so a Rega amp with HT by-pass is employed. The combination suits me.

As you said though it seems that no new amps are without their problems, mostly software associated with NAD or Anthem and others are suffering from the HDMI 2.1 bug if you have to take that into consideration. Other than the 2.1 bugs the Denon and Marantz models are stable enough.

Onkyo and Pioneer will have new Dirac enabled models but unlikely to with the dealers until early 2022. It is simply a bad time to purchase those models that are built in Asia.

Difficult choice. For good multi channel music your should be looking at the Denon X8500 or the Marantz SR8015 if you're disappointed with the 6015. If you drop down a tier then it's the aforementioned Denon X6700. Look at the new Yamaha models, when they come out but it's such a difficult time to buy and certainly to get a good deal.

If you listen to more stereo music than multi channel then you could take advantage of the 6015's pre-outs and run a stereo amp with HT by-pass. My Denon X6500 (X6700) does a fair job with multi channel SACD, etc., although is somewhat poor with stereo presentation so a Rega amp with HT by-pass is employed. The combination suits me.

As you said though it seems that no new amps are without their problems, mostly software associated with NAD or Anthem and others are suffering from the HDMI 2.1 bug if you have to take that into consideration. Other than the 2.1 bugs the Denon and Marantz models are stable enough.

Onkyo and Pioneer will have new Dirac enabled models but unlikely to with the dealers until early 2022. It is simply a bad time to purchase those models that are built in Asia.
TYVM for the comments, gives me a lot to think about.

Here's a question for you! I have 5 bluray's of gigs, all from different bands and different labels, none will play through the Arcam (I get a nanosecond flash of the copyright screen then a black screen with the audio of the main menu page), but will do so through the Marantz without any problem or if I plug my bluray player into my TV. Why? Arcam blame the blurays but that's plainly rubbish as they play through the Marantz. Thoughts?

TYVM for the comments, gives me a lot to think about.

Here's a question for you! I have 5 bluray's of gigs, all from different bands and different labels, none will play through the Arcam (I get a nanosecond flash of the copyright screen then a black screen with the audio of the main menu page), but will do so through the Marantz without any problem or if I plug my bluray player into my TV. Why? Arcam blame the blurays but that's plainly rubbish as they play through the Marantz. Thoughts?
I've got a lot of blu ray video concerts including the outstanding Hans Zimmer Live in Prague with it's Atmos soundtrack. A large number of multi channel SACD and none have proved an issue with my Denon X6500. I have a Pioneer LX500 connected direct to my TV for video with audio having a separate HDMI to the Denon. Don't use ARC as my Panny TV (non eARC) and the Denon simply don't like each other and refuse to talk.

The actual track quality can differ from disc to disc but get a good one, such as Zimmer and they can sound terrific. Old DVD concerts also play well. I've also never had a problem with 4K playback either. There's one thing to be said about the high end Denons and Marantz they are reliable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom