Arcam AVR10 - Should I stay or change to Denon AVC - X6700

Russyo26

Standard Member
Not posted for some time but just completed replacement of my Home Theatre but had issues with my new receiver, Arcam AVR 10. Professionally installed and Dirac setup, but had various sound issues including clicking sound in speakers and other noises, but Arcam through dealer suggested firmware problem. Firmware changed and problem resolved, except now sometimes get sound drop when watching Sky. If broadcast changes from stereo 2.0 to surround 3/2.1, amp does not always pick up and no sound until you press audio button on remote to switch Dirac off and back on and sound returns and also displays 3/2.1 . For the money spent, new TV, Atmos speakers, new centre and front speakers, plus 4k DVD player and added turntable and phono stage its disappointing to say the least. Service from dealer and installer excellent, and offered to change amp to Denon AVC X6700, however concerned I may lose sound quality especially on turntable when playing vinyl (MC cartridge).

Should I wait for software fix and put up with the inconvenience of pressing audio button on remote, or take the offer of switching from AVR 10 to X6700?

Its a difficult one, and what happens if different problems keep occurring?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
You should ask here about the bug:

While i ago i saw many AVR10 returned to dealer. We have many members who just couldn´t live with these AVR10-30 units, some bugs are fixed then new ones arise.

2ch sound quality in mind you should also consider Marantz SR8015 which is slightly better version of X6700H! You do get more channels/processing and more powerfull unit than Arcam that works without bugs.

gibbsy

Honestly I believe the Denon, certainly with stereo music, will be a backward move. I have the X6500 and use a HT by-pass capable stereo amp for my music use. With those two in place I have trouble free film and TV listening, no bugs, no set up issues something that would drive me round the bend. There is no way that Audyssey is anywhere near as good as Dirac.

Try and push for the Marantz SR8015 if you can. Will certainly be better than the Denon for music but still behind the Arcam.

JDGL

Standard Member
Not posted for some time but just completed replacement of my Home Theatre but had issues with my new receiver, Arcam AVR 10. Professionally installed and Dirac setup, but had various sound issues including clicking sound in speakers and other noises, but Arcam through dealer suggested firmware problem. Firmware changed and problem resolved, except now sometimes get sound drop when watching Sky. If broadcast changes from stereo 2.0 to surround 3/2.1, amp does not always pick up and no sound until you press audio button on remote to switch Dirac off and back on and sound returns and also displays 3/2.1 . For the money spent, new TV, Atmos speakers, new centre and front speakers, plus 4k DVD player and added turntable and phono stage its disappointing to say the least. Service from dealer and installer excellent, and offered to change amp to Denon AVC X6700, however concerned I may lose sound quality especially on turntable when playing vinyl (MC cartridge).

Should I wait for software fix and put up with the inconvenience of pressing audio button on remote, or take the offer of switching from AVR 10 to X6700?

So are these AVR10s really that bad or is it a lottery between them?
I'm toying with buying a 2nd hand one that is about 8months old. I don't think it has been upgraded to latest firmware but I also can't audition it before buying it as it's not that local to me.

Krobar

I'm toying with buying a 2nd hand one that is about 8months old. I don't think it has been upgraded to latest firmware but I also can't audition it before buying it as it's not that local to me.

Still seems to be some trouble for some users (Not all) with some Sky Q boxes and Apple TV. Roku, Shield, Kodi, BD players etc. are fine.

Last edited:

anteranz

Hello, I come from a denon 8500h that was majestic in film and in music, it defended itself quite well but I was always missing something and I warmed up with arcam and dirac and I took the step to an avr20 and the truth sounds great on both sides but it is an avr a half finished and has many errors (and less) that many people would not want to have ... I do not regret the change but to go back perhaps I would sacrifice a little SQ that I have gained with the arcam and change it from being calm as I was with the 8500 That is why I tell you that if you are not happy I encourage you to change.

Zarf2007

If you are going to buy one get new with 5 year warranty as I wouldn’t trust 2nd hand for such an item unless it came with dealer warranty.

also update the firmware using a fat32 format usb stick after downloading the latest firmware from Arcam’s site and do a factory reset afterwards.

Last edited:

Zarf2007

To sky
I actually came from a Denon x4700 to an AVR10 then changed to AVR20 and I had more hdmi handshaking issues with the Denon so don’t assume it will be a silver bullet! The answer might be to get your sky box swapped out for a newer version as other people have complained about this on many different AVRs and it points to sky being the issue.

with the latest 1.46 firmware I’m finding the Arcam very stable so far.

Last edited:

Russyo26

Standard Member
Thank you for comments/suggestions. The unit has been changed and now I have different problems, the worst being that the Dirac EQ is stuck in off mode. Have unplugged, tried to change on the toggle switch and in the input menu. Off is highlighted and the bar refuses to move to my living room settings. Latest suggestion is to change to Marantz or Anthem. Is there much difference between 7015 and 8015. Really disappointing as the sound is great when it is working, but it’s a lot of money for a unit that does not work properly.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Is there much difference between 7015 and 8015. Really disappointing as the sound is great when it is working, but it’s a lot of money for a unit that does not work properly.

Power output wise not that much. 8015 has 11 amplification vs. 7015 has 9. Also 8015 allows you to run larger system due to 13.2 processing and DTS:X Pro. 8015 is made in Japan.

Russyo26

Standard Member
Thank you. I am running 5.1 with 2 upfiring atmos speakers on my floor standers. Will never be adding more speakers as room not big enough.
2 x floor standers, 1 x centre, 2 x surround sound, 1 x sub 2 x Atmos speakers. Turntable has dedicated phono stage as using MC cart.

goatlips

Thank you for comments/suggestions. The unit has been changed and now I have different problems, the worst being that the Dirac EQ is stuck in off mode. Have unplugged, tried to change on the toggle switch and in the input menu. Off is highlighted and the bar refuses to move to my living room settings. Latest suggestion is to change to Marantz or Anthem. Is there much difference between 7015 and 8015. Really disappointing as the sound is great when it is working, but it’s a lot of money for a unit that does not work properly.
That's probably because you have changed your crossover setting in the menu after the dirac calibration

DaveWillo

I've been researching AVR's for months now (still not bought a new one yet) and most AVR's on the market have their own issues.
From what I've gathered from the various forums on here:
  • Arcam AV10-30: Great Sound quality, has DIRAC but lots of problems
  • NAD T778: As above, also has DIRAC - but also with speaker popping noises
  • Anthem MRX range: Great sound again and ARC room correction seems to be well-liked, but some issues with fan noise and are in low supply
  • Marantz SR7015/8015: Not as great sounding as above but still good. Relatively bug-free, but Inelegant work-around for HDMI 2.1 (if you're a gamer). People seem to favour ARC/Dirac over Audyssey
  • Denon 6700: as the Marantz, but not as good with 2 channel audio

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom