• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Arcam AVR 850 - multichannel codecs not playing

anjan

At the moment, I have an Apple TV and Nvidia shield connected to the AVR 850. When playing mkv files with DTS/ DTS-HD/ TrueHD codecs etc, the amp only seems to be playing stereo codecs like PCM 2.0/0 + digital stereo.

I have a marantz SR7010 with similar devices connected to it that plays these same files in HD audio formats. Yet that room is a 5:1 speaker system whereas this room in 5:1:2 with two rear ceiling speakers. All the speakers are set to small with 80Khz crossover.

Is there something simple I am missing in the settings for the Arcam to play the audio on these files correctly? I am a newbie to Arcam and think it isn't worth calibrating using Dirac until these basics are sorted first. Any ideas on how to fix this most welcome

Ta

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Try cycling the Mode button on the remote in case you have multi-channel disabled. If multi-channel isn't an option then check the Mode configuration in the setup menu.

anjan

Thanks for the help. It shows as PCM 2.0 + multichannel stereo now. It certainly sounds a lot better. Does it not display the actual HD codec (e.g. Truehd) being played?

dyson2004

Thanks for the help. It shows as PCM 2.0 + multichannel stereo now. It certainly sounds a lot better. Does it not display the actual HD codec (e.g. Truehd) being played?
Yes it does. Did you manage to sort this out in the end? Took me a while but I now have the hang of it.

dante01

Distinguished Member
If the receiver says it is receiving 2 channel PCM then that is all that is being output from the source. Also note that the Apple TV cannot play either audio or video encased within an MKV container. Apple do not support MKV. More than this, the Apple TV doesn't support HD audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio either so can neither bitstream them or decode them and output them as multichannel PCM.

PCM 2.0 + multichannel stereo simply indicates that the receiver is receiving 2 channel PCM and then applying the multichannel stereo mode to it. No you are not playing TrueHD because the source isn't outputting TrueHD to the receiver. AS already indcated, the Apple TV can't handle or passthrough TRueHD anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom