Question Arcam AVR 600

Maffyboy

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have an Arcam AVR 600 and I fancy a change! I'd appreciate some upgrade suggestions from you guys if you could!
It only needs to serve 5.1, but I want it to sound good with music!
I'll be selling the Arcam shortly if anyone's interested!

Either a 750 or 850 if you can stretch your budget :)

I went from the 600 to the 850 and it was worth every penny (not that the 600 is shabby!)

Thank you for the reply. The wife will undoubtably put a complete stop to the 850! That's a holiday sort of expense! I have been thinking of the 750, have you heard one? Is it a lot different to the 600?

I haven't heard the 750 but from accounts on here it's more reliable than the 600 and the sound is a subtle improvement.

Depending on budget it might be worth listening to the 550 if the 850 is out of reach for the moment. Dirac is fantastic and might possibly make up for the lack of class G amps the 600 and 850 have.

I did a direct test against the AVR600 and AVR750 and found areas where both amps had there plus points and minus.

The AVR600 is a fantastic powerhouse whereas the AVR750 is very musical and far more refined than the AVR600. The AVR750 also requires the dial turning up a little more to hear what it has to offer.

As for the newer Arcam's I have no idea.

Regards, Shane.

Hi Shane,

Thank you for your reply and yes, I've now heard this as well!

The price for the new 550 and 850 is ludicrous. I'm even more undecided now....hay ho!!!

Matt.

Hi Shane,

Thank you for your reply and yes, I've now heard this as well!

The price for the new 550 and 850 is ludicrous. I'm even more undecided now....hay ho!!!

Matt.

All the top Arcam receivers have been around £4k when released so the prices aren't anything unusual. Someone was selling a 550 on here for around £1900 not so long back although I think they are still a bit new to see many deals around.

Is there something you feel is missing from the 600? If you don't want or need Atmos or Dirac then the 600 is a fine receiver and you might get more value spending your cash elsewhere?

It's a bit old now, a fine amp indeed, just fancy a change! I've been looking at the Anthem MRX 710, it has favourable reviews!

It's a bit old now, a fine amp indeed, just fancy a change! I've been looking at the Anthem MRX 710, it has favourable reviews!
Hi Mate
I wish I could change my gear, when I fancied a change:)
Is music, or movies more important to you?
I only ask as if you are only sticking to 5.1 and music is more important I would personally stick with the AVR600.
Now if movies is more important to you I would look at the previous generation Anthems, instead of spending in excess of £1000 on top of your Arcam.
I used to own a 600 and it is a very good amp, but a Anthem MRX700 came up for sale at a very good price, that I couldn't resist. On comparing the two amps the Anthem stole the show for me , it was very close to the Arcam for music, But far superior for movies especially with Anthem Room Correction (in my personal opinion)
You should be able to pick one up without no more further outlay than your 600
Cheers
Garry

Hi Garry, believe me, I don't take decisions like this lightly! It ticks all the boxes I know, but I got the bug!!!!
The 600 is now on eBay, so no turning back! I've narrowed it down to the Arcam 750 or the Anthem MRX 710, what do you think?

Matt

Hi Garry, believe me, I don't take decisions like this lightly! It ticks all the boxes I know, but I got the bug!!!!
The 600 is now on eBay, so no turning back! I've narrowed it down to the Arcam 750 or the Anthem MRX 710, what do you think?

Matt
Hi Matt
As I said its probably what you will use the amp for most, Movies or Music.
I know which way I would go and that would lean towards the Anthem, but that's from my personal experience.
What speakers are you using?
As I said in my experience the MRX 700 (though an ugly beast was far superior over the Arcam for movies.
Cheers
Garry

I've got quad 23 L's as mains and the matching centre and rears. I've got a BK Monolith sub. In terms of preferences, music and movies in equal measure!

If Arcam were described as laid back, what would you describe Anthem as?

Matt.

I've got quad 23 L's as mains and the matching centre and rears. I've got a BK Monolith sub. In terms of preferences, music and movies in equal measure!

If Arcam were described as laid back, what would you describe Anthem as?

Matt.
Matt
I would personally describe the difference between the two amps as the Anthem being more Dynamic and brings out a lot more detail especially when watching movies in my opinion.
I would say you probably need to listen to an Anthem to get a general feel for the sound.
Good luck
Cheers
Garry

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom