Arcam AVR 600 with Subs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stump, Jan 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Stump

Stump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Arcam AVR 600 with Subs
    I have some powered sub connected to the AVR 600 and while playing a cd the subs sometimes goes off.Not until I press the direct button off and on again does it come back on.Is this another glitch??????:mad:

2. jowi

jowi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Maybe your sub powers off because the outputsignal form the arcam (volume!) is too low. For test, try playing at a louder volume to see if it happens then as well. Pushing the Direct button changes signal levels and might wake your sub back up.

If it doesn't happen at high volumes, try increasing the sub signal from the arcam (and lowering the volume on the sub itself to compensate). Or, if your sub supports it, use a 12V trigger from the arcam to start the sub.

3. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,687
    What sub or subs do you have ? If there's volume on the subs won't switch off. Direct turns the subs on and off as you know. No, it's not a known glitch but try setting your speakers to sat/sub or L+R and Sub, whichever setting it's not, then switch off, switch on and change back to what it was.

4. Stump

Stump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the tips jowi and Rock
    I am running the settings of L+R and Sub.I have played with the setting as suggested and will now wait and see.There are so many variable setting with the subs.The subs used are 4 x 10 woofers in Platform made local by VAF.
    Cheers Stump

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,687
    Awesome, bet that sounds interesting and there's me feeling a wee bit guilty for pondering the idea of a paradigm sub 1. What the hell is that on the side of the wall?? is that acoustic baffling? Are those the subs behind the speakers? You madman! Looks like some nice toys in that rack too.

Anyway... I'll take it those things don't have a sleep mode. Other things to try off the top of my head. Get a Y splitter and run the subs out of one input and naturally try all 3 sub inputs.

I have seen the menus stick on these things, I had a 500 for a while and was convinced the crossover was just not working at all. Completely mess with the speaker sizes and settings, not just the sub / sat bit, but the size, the crossover, run the test tones again, set the speakers to small and switch it off and on between it all.

Then if it still does it, factory reset it. if it does it still, then flash the main and dsp firmware files and if it still does it after that and you know for a fact your subs are ok, then it's broken.

6. MarkChat

MarkChat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The SUB is not working simply because you have Direct switched ON! (You seemingly have to turn it off (which allowes the sub to power up) and then on again(which leaves the sub on until it's power times out but will NOT direct low freq sound as it is DIRECT!!!)

Turning direct OFF will allow the amp to direct stero bass output to the sub as long as you have it set as Stereo+ Sub in the menu for speaker setup

7. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,687
    Surely switching it back ON again, would turn the subs off - what makes you think it has to time out? Mine doesn't.

Turn direct on - subs go off
    Turn it direct off - subs go on
    Turn it direct on again - subs go off.

8. MarkChat

MarkChat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry, I meant to type that it APPEARS that turning direct off and on again powers on the sub, but actually it is the turning direct OFF which does this because audio is momentarily directed to the sub, making it power up.

Pushing Direct again to put direct ON will again turn off any audio to the sub so the sub will power down, as the original poster described, after the subs own power saving time out interval.

9. Stump

Stump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Rock
    So far so good .When I said the subs go off the subs are still powered on ,they just were not making sound until I played with the direct button.After playing with the settings as first suggested they are not playing up.Regards the side acoustic treatments I use a product called Polymax at the first reflection point and also the back wall.My room is 9 ft wide and although the Subs were designed to be flat like a coffee table the best spot for them was behind the main speakers.The wall of foam behind the speakers is 2ft wide and helps even out the reflection of sound.
    Stump

10. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,687
    No worries, probably was 'just one of those things'

11. Stump

Stump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had another couple of week of playing with the Sub issue and the glitch is still there.So if anyone who is using there Arcam AVR 600 with 2 powered subs let me know if you are having issues.My Arcam dealer is in Sydney but i understand it would be hard to fault find without my setup.
    Cheers Stump

12. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,687
    Stump, my paradigm goes to sleep if it's not being worked so it'll switch off if the volume isn't loud enough. I have cinema volume on and the sub set to +3.5 in the settings and find that you need to be at about 14 on the display or more.

I'm not sure if this applies to 5.1 sources in my case, just 2.0 - At first I thought it was a bit stupid but it's actually very clever. My wife has been working in here and has just put MTV or Kerrang on as low background music and that's the only reason I've noticed it.

Once the volume goes up it's doesn't drop off at all, so a sub with sleep mode needs a certain voltage (i guess?) to keep it alive.

13. Stump

Stump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello Rock
    There is a switch on the sub for auto sleep mode.When set it turns off the power of the subs when no music is playing.I have always had set to on and not auto .So my problem is the loss of sub signal and not sub power going off.Ive contacted the suppler who will take it up with Arcam for possible software issue.Ill keep you updated.
    Cheers Stump

14. turbo911

turbo911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have two subs running from my 600 (velodyne micro v,s) i dont realy use the subs for music listening, but i did try them out yesterday out of curiosity, listened for quite a while with no drop outs at any volume, cheers....

15. Stump

Stump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello Rock
    Got some feedback from Arcam and looks like most likely remedy is to replace the DSP board. Im still in warranty so I hope this isn't the start of more issues.
    Cheers Stump

16. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,687
    Wouldn't have thought it would have been that, but there ya go. It's all modular stuff so I doubt after it's replaced it will happen again or anything else weird.

cheers,

R.

17. Stump

Stump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello Rock
    I only just got my AVR600 back and although they could not find a problem it maybe the way I have the subs set up!!
    I will know more when I sort out the V2.66 calibrate Completed error issue Ive put a post in the firmware section..
    Stump

18. Stump

Stump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Problem Solved
    My completed error issue have been put down to a faulty tweeter.So V2.66 firmware is ok.My Sub issue has been put down to my inexperience in setting the Subs .I had the Phase set 180 and the Blend and Gain set too low.On the Arcam I had the Sub tones set higher.Now Ive set the Phase to 0 with the Blend and Gain Half way at 12o clock.Now the Arcam settings are set lower .
    I am getting another Sub the same as the first 2 and will set it up behind my listen area.This will replace the coffee table sitting there at the moment.
    Stump

Soon to have new Sub.I can position this one as they are designed .(coffee table)
    [​IMG]

19. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,687
    Glad you got it sorted, tho I would have thought a rule of thumb is set the sub at halfway and the phase anywhere depending on it's position, tho I'm still not sure how the subs volume affects whether or not it comes on.

Maybe it's this blend setting - or is that aussie for 'crossover'?

So you're going to have 3 of these coffee table things in the near future? What do they cost in roo dollars?

20. Stump

Stump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Rock
    Yes the blend is the same as crossover.The production model in Tasmanian Blackwood is $2250 each.This is with one 12inch woofer.The third one I am getting is the last prototype they have and has 4x 10inch woofers.I should be able to get it for $1500 as I am a regular customer.If this was not available I would stick with just the 2 subs at the front.
    Cheers Stump

Platform - MPB Powered Subwoofer - Loudspeakers - VAF Research