Arcam AVR 500 HDMI control of Pioneer KRP-500A

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Roaders, Nov 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Roaders

Roaders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All

Yesterday I had my new home cinema setup installed by the very helpful Simon from infidelity (infidelity.co.uk - I can highly recommend).

I'm loving the system so far, really pleased with it.

Previously my Pioneer tv was linked to a pretty cheap Blu Ray Player. I had the tv set up so that when the player came on the tv came on. I am trying to organise for the same thing to happen with the Amp. This would be particularly useful as the Amp is the only input.

I have checked that the settings are all still on which they are but the "Power on Test" and "Power Off Test" are both disabled and say "Current Status does not allow selection and adjustment".

Does this mean my £100 Blu Ray player supports this but my £2500 amp doesn't?

Thanks

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    There is a lengthy thread on your amp HERE.

However, I can't believe someone would spend £££s on a top-of-the range plasma and £2.5k on an AV Receiver but not consider spending £100 on a decent universal remote like the Logitech Harmony One. :suicide:

Trust me, this will do what you want and a whole lot more.

3. Roaders

Roaders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply. I will check that link out.

I was planning on getting a universal remote but I am not that sure it woul dbenefit me very much.

It would replace the amp and Blu Ray controller - but either of my arcam remotes control both.

I should think I would still need the Sky remote to get full Sky use (but for basics I am sure universal would be ok).

I am pretty sure I would still need my Media Center Remote, and of course I would still need all the game controllers and Sonos Controller.

I'll probably get one at some point but it's not a high priority.

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Off Topic(ish): I have my Harmony One fully setup to control all the Sky functions including short cuts and sequences for ITVHD (I'm in Scotland), AnytimeTV, Planner, Installer Menu and nice icons (thanks S q u a r e e y e s) for the favourite channels etc. There is excellent information within the remotes forum.

By pressing one button, it turns on all equipment within an activity and select the correct inputs and it works brilliantly.

Re. the Media Center. If you're using the MS remote i.e. IR again, the Harmony will control it. If anything isn't in their database, you can simply learn the commands from the original remote. I have an IR receiver winging its way from somewhere, so I can use the Harmony to control my HCPC as well (Acer Revo running MCE and XBMC) but I'm presently using the mouse/keyboard and Android phone to control it with no issues.

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    I would second the Logitech Harmony suggestion. They are so easy to set up and give fully functionality of all equipement. I have used mine to replace remotes for my TV, Bluray, SkyHD, DVD, PS2, Amp, Photo frame, lights and squeezebox. The support from Logitech is great too. Anything I have had problems finding on their database they have found and even loaded it onto my profile for me so all I did was update the remote. Also my last remote stopped working almost 2 years of having it (885) and they send me a new Harmony One free of charge as it was still in waranty. No quiblles and sent within a week, great service.