Arcam AVR 390

DodgeTheViper

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be any official details released yet but a quick search brings up some detail from a couple of places.

Priced at just short of the sub 2k market, it looks on paper as a very viable proposition. Particularly when you notice that it takes on some of the features found on the senior models, like Dirac Live.

Could be very interesting.

I posted a link to a PDF flier of the AV390, AV550 & A850 in the AV550 thread which shows the differences between the models. For those who have a good external power amp already then it looks like a great option compared to the AV550 which has recently gone up to £2,700, a £300 increase which tipped me over the edge when deciding whether to order or not.

http://www.signalshifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/AVR390_550_850-Flier-170616_F.pdf
http://www.signalshifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/AVR390_550_850-Flier-170616_F.pdf
I don't think the 18 watt figure is anything to be concerned about, especially if used with a power amp anyway. If I got one I would only use the internal amp for two Atmos channels anyway. For now I'm sticking with my SR6010 and separate DDRC-88A, but will keep an eye on this and the AV550 thread.

Thanks for the link, Kelvin :smashin:

I think this will open up the market even more. Although in the back of my mind is Denon and what their top model will feature. My guess is next year for that one, but that's probably for another thread :)

Last edited:
I'm interested in the 390, as I already have power amps for my main channels, so this acting as a processor looks like good value with Dirac. It works out cheaper than going Anthem again. Can we definitely assign the internal amps for just Atmos? Although I feel even if that's possible they may not like 4ohm MK speakers?!

I'm interested in the 390, as I already have power amps for my main channels, so this acting as a processor looks like good value with Dirac. It works out cheaper than going Anthem again. Can we definitely assign the internal amps for just Atmos? Although I feel even if that's possible they may not like 4ohm MK speakers?!

Internal amps are not assignable to heights.

With a 7 channel amp I think you end up with the front 3 and the 4 Atmos powered by the power amp and the Surround and surround backs power by the AVR390/550.

There have been cutout problems reported with the AVR550 when driving 4ohm speakers, you could always use the AVR390 with a 7c hannel and a 4 channel setup maybe a matching pair of Emotiva XPA Gen3 power amps

I've got a Rotel 993 for the fronts and a 985MkII for the surrounds and backs, all speakers are 4ohm, the Atmos speakers will be 4ohm too. So I would have to add another 4 channel amp for use with the Arcam 390. Appears the 550 would be a no go and the 850 is too expensive.

Unless I sell all the PA's and get the Anthem 1120, but I may lack a bit of power to what I have now and have a big hole in my wallet!

I think that the 18W may be a typo and should be 81? Surprised this got past proof reading at Arcam, to be honest. If I'm right this may be a great product. Love to see some internal pics so I can see what's been changed to hit a lower price point. Aren't Arcams built on an Audio Control OEM platform?
If that power figure is right, there're bigger problems to sort out...

I think that the 18W may be a typo and should be 81? Surprised this got past proof reading at Arcam, to be honest. If I'm right this may be a great product. Love to see some internal pics so I can see what's been changed to hit a lower price point. Aren't Arcams built on an Audio Control OEM platform?

I think you must be right. I'd taken it at face value, but when you look at the >0.02% THD 2 channel figure for the other amps they are slightly higher than the 7 channels driven at 0.2THD figure, so your 81 watt typo theory would fit right in with that.

Having said that, I know a previous AVR I had was known to drop very low if you engaged the 4/6ohm setting in the menu (a power saving setting as it turned out, not needed, but many users would have engaged it thinking it was the right thing to do).

Once these get out in the field I'd be interested to hear if anyone manages to use a couple of channels to drive 4ohm speakers. I have a 7 channel Arcam P7, so I would need to use 2 of the AV390 internal channels to drive one pair of speakers. All my Atmos and surround speakers are 4ohms (MK MP150/S150T). It would be good if I could get away without having to buy another power amp just for the two channels, although since there isn't a processor available in my budget that can Dirac all the channels I'll use an AV390 as a processor if it comes to it.

Looking on Audio T they list the specs as:
Continuous power output, per channel, 8Ω (AVR390)

2 channels driven, 20Hz - 20kHz, <0.02% THD - 80W
2 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 86W
7 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 60W

But after reading about the AVR550 shutting down with 4ohm at ref and just below, this lower power AVR would have even less chance. So I ended up ordering an Anthem.

Looking on Audio T they list the specs as:
Continuous power output, per channel, 8Ω (AVR390)

2 channels driven, 20Hz - 20kHz, <0.02% THD - 80W
2 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 86W
7 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 60W

But after reading about the AVR550 shutting down with 4ohm at ref and just below, this lower power AVR would have even less chance. So I ended up ordering an Anthem.
I'm looking at an anthem as a second hand buy to replace my Yamaha. So that's good to know.

Not sure there is such a thing as Audio Control OEM platform. Also it's Audiocontrol amps that have circuits inside that have Arcam printed on them, not the other way around.

What's good to know?
I have 4 ohm speakers across the front so knowing that Arcam may struggle with such things is good to know. I was tempted by Arcam but if they aren't as capable as pioneer or Anthem then I may change my options.

Has anyone got one of these now they are out in the wild so to speak? I reckon I've got enough left in budget to add one of these as a processor to my Arcam P7, so I've asked my local dealer to let me know price and availability. I figure that it'll be easier using this for all channel Dirac eq than a mix of DDRC-88A and non eq'd channels.

I also read an issue with the AV550 and an Oppo BDP93 (which I have) not producing any audio, so any feedback on this would be useful too since essentially the processor on the 390/550/850 is the same.

I'm going to be joining the Arcam club again as I'll be putting an AVR390 in my rack sometime in the next week or so thanks to Jagdeep at Epic Home Cinema. :thumbsup:

I plan to use my P7 for the base 5 channels and one pair of heights (5.4.4 layout), if I can configure the '390 to power another pair of heights. However, I'm using MK MP150 for Atmos channels which are 4ohm, so I may have to use a spare stereo amp I have in the loft to power them if I have any issues.

Should be a bit easier to set up for the Atmos channels rather than the mix of some channels eq'd by my '88A and two of them not eq'd.

Last edited:
My AVR390 was personally delivered this afternoon by Jagdeep at Epic Home Cinema. :thumbsup: Can't knock the service at all, though it's taken me about a year to buy the AVR since I heard the AVR550 at the last Epic open day.

I've only done a very basic set up because I'm mid build and I only have my LCR and 3 subs connected up at the moment, so no point running Dirac. Just a quick tweak of the levels and that's it. Seems to work well with my P7 and triggers it to come on as it should.

It's a bit of a pain that I don't seem to be able to do any setup without using the TV (I prefer not to pass video through any AVR I have), but once it's fully set up I'll go back to my usual Lumagen direct feed to the displays and sound only to the AVR.

The menus seem simple and clear enough, so when it comes time to do the proper set up I'm sure it'll be easy enough. I'm used to Dirac on my previous DDRC-88A, so fingers crossed it'll be familiar ground.

The amp is nice and cool after about 4 hours running, though it's not driving any speakers (the reason I bought the AVR390 rather than the '550). Eventually it will power one pair of 'top rear' Atmos channels which I'm using quite large/4ohm MK MP150 for, so will see how it manages. If any problems I'll just add a spare stereo amp I have to drive them.

This is my rack as of this evening. I pealed off the DTS-X sticker and put in on the top of my rack instead. :)

AVR390 in place.jpg

Last edited:
Just to feedback that I tried my Oppo BDP-93 through the AVR390 today and no issues with sound, so there doesn't seem to be a general problem using the two together like the guy on AVS, but doesn't seem to be an issue with the discs I tried. I even set the Atmos channels up in the menu (not physically connected yet) and it played Fury Road with Atmos on the display (just my LCR connected, but the AVR didn't know ;) ). Also tried DTS-MA and Dolby HD too without any issues.

I moved my left/right speakers out a little today while I'm working on my false wall and put a CD on while I had a sandwich at lunchtime...I ended up sitting for far longer than I should have done. :blush: It's sounding great driving my MKMPS300 via my Arcam P7 and I haven't even run Dirac yet either.

Last edited:
Just to feedback that I tried my Oppo BDP-93 through the AVR390 today and no issues with sound, so there doesn't seem to be a general problem using the two together like the guy on AVS, but doesn't seem to be an issue with the discs I tried. I even set the Atmos channels up in the menu (not physically connected yet) and it played Fury Road with Atmos on the display (just my LCR connected, but the AVR didn't know ;) ). Also tried DTS-MA and Dolby HD too without any issues.

I moved my left/right speakers out a little today while I'm working on my false wall and put a CD on while I had a sandwich at lunchtime...I ended up sitting for far longer than I should have done. :blush: It's sounding great driving my MKMPS300 via my Arcam P7 and I haven't even run Dirac yet either.
Nice setup, should be very impressive once your done.

FWIW, I heard an ARCAM AVR many years ago and was stunned by the great sound. I don't crank up the volume, so I'm eyeing the AVR390 (no separate amp). But my old Thiel CS2 speakers are 4ohm and I use an Oppo (BDP-103D), so given the concerns raised in this discussion I'll be following it carefully.

Hmm seems a common occurrence people moving from anthem to arcam....its the price must be? Arc is awesome but the 20 series is massively overpriced now i think

Diarc is better than Arc imo, in my room anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom