1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR-300 vs Sony STR-DB1070!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by daleski75, Dec 8, 2004.

Tags:
  1. daleski75

daleski75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    A friend of mine brought round his Arcam AVR-300 yesterday and we put on a few dvd's and albums which I know very well and I was blown away by the difference, my poor (soon to be be replaced) STR-DB1070 sounded instantly very out of date!!

So now I am busy saving for an Arcam AVR-300 and Arcam DV79 to go with it, the only thing now I am wondering, is the Rotel RSX-1067 a step up from the Arcam and is it worth the extra £500? (this money can go towards a better dvd player!)

I wonder if my house insurance will cover all my kit lol

Cheers for the help everyone much appreciated :)

D

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    The best thing to do is to demo both units,I would bet the rotel would have more control at very high volumes due to its larger power supply,If it was me i would more than likely go for the rotel.So go and have a demo i think sevenoaks stock both receivers so it shouldnt be to hard to do.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

3. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They are both darn good amps.

The best advice is listen to them both, especially if possible with your speakers.

The Rotel will be wonderful for movies, for audio most would probably say the Arcam AVR300, but I don't know I had an Arcam FMJ A22 intergrated stereo amp and sold that to get my rotel kit. See my sig line for the details and the stereo performance from this is darn good. I don't think there is much between a 1067 and a 1068 as a pre-amp.

So do your best to hear both if possible but I would guess neither would disapoint. But i'd probably just edge towards the Rotel myself.

PS... The 1067 is sodding large!! hope you've got the room for it :)

Steff

4. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Rotel and Arcam just sound.... different.

I don't think you will need the extra power, but if you feel the need: the arcam 6+7 channel can be used to bi-amp your front left/right speakers.. that will add an extra 100 Watt to your speakers.

I listened to both and fall for the arcam, but everybody has to judge for themselve and see/hear what they like