Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

ARCAM AVR-300 vs ROTEL RSX 1067

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Horse, Dec 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Horse

Horse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am buying a new receiver, speaker, plasma and DVD combination.

Obviously I am down to the ARCAM AVR-300 vs ROTEL RSX 1067 (which are both better than my existing NAD receiver now sold).

I havent been able to demo the Rotel yet but it seems to have rave reviews and is similarly or better specked than the ARCAM. I have demoed the Arcam AVR-300 and DVD 79 which are simply amazing

Can anyone who has demoed both help ?

2. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Did you ever end up finding more info in your quest to find arcam vs rotel sound quality comparison?

3. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm I guess I never have seen this posting as I reviewed them both, so if someone is interested I might give it a go to describe some of my experiences

4. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I would guess that even the lowest grade Arcam will easily match any offering of Rotel. Rotel is highly over-rated imo.

5. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The value for money of the Rotel equipment is undoubtably very good. I've always been very impressed with the quality of their amplifiers. Base don experience with their other models I don't think the 1067 would give the 300 an easy time of it to be honest. But I've not heard the 1067, so I'm willing to stand corrected.

6. calgaryjohn

calgaryjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have listened to both units in my quest and I purchased the Arcam based on the price in Canada. Both units will do home theater well and that was my primary goal. The Rotel definately has a power advantage but with the price difference one can look at adding a second amp for the Arcam.
    As far as the sound ,two different dealers, two sets of speakers, two different rooms no comparison is fair. The Arcam was definitely sounding better but why I can't say for sure. I have been very happy with it for surround sound in movies and it is what have been looking for. Keep listening and demo-ing good luck.
    John

7. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just to answer my own question... and feel free to jump in to add to my experience.

I just demoed the avr300 and 1067 both on the same speakers in stereo mode and after listening to about both of them a good 20 mins each giving both everypossible kind of music at them from jazz to electronica to rock...

I found the 1067 to be a little bit brighter and its not for me...

I found the arcam to be more musical than the rotel and also to be a bit more balanced and neutral sounding?

The speakers that they were running were not great just the general 2k a pair fare... but nothing great.

Anyone disagree or agree?

8. bigfanga

bigfanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everything I've read has jibed with your experience, namely that Rotel, while having great value & build quality, does sound a bit bright.

9. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Not that great, just 2k a pair! Blimey!

10. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nods good show.... made my choice easier... and my wallet not so lighter :D.

11. hsmraj

hsmraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went in for Arcam AVR300 recently. I am very happy with the preformance of the receiver. However, a freind of mine pointed out to the fact that the frequency response of Arcam was only 20-2k Hz well below the rating of Rotels. The Rotels response is well into the 100KHz range and may be better able to reproduce higher frequencies. The Rotel 1067 was 30% more expensive and way over my budget - so my decision was easy.

My friend suggested that I could have gone in for Rotel seperates with lower power amps instead. I am not sure if you can use Arcam to driver super tweeters. Just wanted to get comments from others in the forum.

12. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

I just wrote this for another thread but thought it was appropriate here as well

The AVR300 specifcation is a completely flat specifcation and is also true for the digital processing section of the processor. The analogue bandwidth of the product (i.e when it is in direct mode) is much wider. Most manufacturers use the -3dB point as the specifcation point (as this is what is used in fliter design), we however rate them to be flat for the usefull range of human hearing.

I have just measured the AVR300 to see if I could get the 3dB point measuerments for you on the CD input. In direct mode, from the CD input to the power amplifer ouputs, the -3dB point frequency measurement is 190KHz.

The measurement equipment I was using will not go below 10Hz however at 10Hz the unit is only about 0.18dB down so the 3dB point for low frequencies is probably around 0.5Hz.

The practical upshot of this is that you will not be loosing anything in terms of frequency response using the AVR300. My experience is in fact that the frequency response range is not the most significant factor in the sound quality of a product.

Regards,
    Andrew

13. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I audition both, bought the arcam because it both sounded more tranparent, and was cheaper! My dealer suggested, if i really wanted the extra power of the rotel, i could always get a power amp for the money saved buying a the arcam down the road.

14. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a bad habit of listening to music and or movies at a very loud/high volumes... last night i caught myself listening to music at around 78db. My speakers are very efficient but still 78db was a LOT. I dont see anyone hitting 100db or even 95db just for listening purposes....

p.s was in stereo mode.

15. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    I listen to my AV system at 85dB for most of the time, but my main speakers are about 85dB/W at best.

16. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ahh mine are about 93ish they are custom designed so they measured at that poing... 2 woofers 8" and a fabric tweeter. Room is about 22 x 13 and i sit about 8' away from the speakers.