1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

arcam avr 300 vs denon 3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kid rock, Aug 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. kid rock

kid rock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Does anyone know if What Hifi did a group test of these amps recently. I read in the July issue that the test was planned for the August edition which I didnt get due to Holidays.

Cheers

Kid Rock

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Yes, and the Yamaha RX-V2400 won.

To sum up - any of the current £1000 amps will provide you with an excellent product. For outright stereo the Arcam or Rotel amps will edge it (although I feel they're a little overpriced in any case), for pure AV work the Yamaha/Denon/Pioneer arena is where you want to be.

You're talking about very small degrees of difference though.....

3. ChalkyCardiff

ChalkyCardiff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Denon is not as good in av as the Arcam. Arcam stereo performance 25% better(use your own ears).

4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I did thanks.

5. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I A/B compared these two in Stereo today.

Source Arcam CD73 - speakers Quad 12L's

Im still undecided.

Analogue input to me the arcam has a slight edge on the denon..... not as much as i would have thought. I'd say the arcam a "touch" more warmth and tad more dynamics?

Using Digital Input is a different story. The Arcam (to me) sounded the same as the CD player (i guess the same/similar DAC helps here?) The Denon's Bur Brown i did not like as much. Vocals less "full" and more layed back in their stage... overall more layed back than the Arcam... which is a bit more "in your face".... I think prefered the Arcams onboard decoding better (for stereo anyways... can't comment on multichannel)

I have the 3805 at home now for testing. I'll A/B compare analogue/digital wtih my home setup (HTPC + pro audio card) and if its "night and day" with the analogue being the better i think i will go the denon.

$800AUD different (and thats with a HUGE discound on the arcam $700AUD and a modest $300 on the Denon) is still a lot...... could get me improvements in other areas...