1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam avr 300- some questions from a relative novice

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by kid rock, Oct 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. kid rock

kid rock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ]I bought the 300 back in June software version 2.78 upgrading my avr 200. I then comprehensively updated my speakers from the Mission cinema 7 to -Kef xq3 fronts ,Kef xq2c center and 4 Kef eggs at the rear, as well as the Kef psw 4000 sub.

I have a few problems I need to clear up.

1- Why is it that my front right speaker needs to set at +3dbs(using SPL meter) compared to the center and the front left when all the speakers measure 3.5 meters from my listening position?

2 When i set my front speakers and center to large in the set up menu my front right speaker regularly emits an audible pop on loud bass heavy music ie Mezzanine by Massive Attack and Prodigy Fat of the Land are unlistenable at above 75 db on the arcam in Stereo direct and in any dsp mode as the pop from the right is unbearable.This only happens on stereo analogue sources and the arcam happily goes way above 80 db on dvd material with the digital dvd input. Reducing the speakers to small and setting the impedance switch to 4 ohms cures the pop on analogue sources but it comes back again when the volume level moves up to 80db . I have had my front speakers and the cabling looked at (these are 1500 quid a pair for the fronts and they are biwired with Nordost superflat biwire at 20 quid a meter ie not cheap rubbish) and all is ok there. What is this loud popping noise and why only on the right channel?

For added info my front speakers specs are as follows.

Kef xq3- 4 way bass reflex, freq reponse 55hz-55khz, sensitivity 89dbs and impedance 8 ohms, amp recommended power 15-125 watts.

Final point -I bought the Arcam in Britain and brought it back to Germany where I live only to find it needs a software upgrade and my nearest dealer is a 400 kms round trip.Cant I do this at home and what does it involve ?

By the way if John Dawson reads this I think its a fantastic piece of kit.

Kid Rock

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    You Have a new PM

Andrew

3. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,034
    Boooooooooooo
    Come on Andrew, answer the questions on here..these forums are a useful way of gathering knowledge, it kinda spoils the fun when you answer via PM.

4. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, could someone please explain this on the forum. I'm not suggesting it's a fault and I'm sure there's a logical explanation but my 200 registers ~2db difference between left and right. They are placed symetrically in a rectangular room (same distance from back and side walls, toed in same amount, same distance from listener, same length speaker cable, etc.) Again, I'm also very happy with my unit. :)

5. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Here is the reply I sent regarding the speaker imbalance problem.

The most likely cause of the imbalance you are seeing is that one speakers is near an absorbent surface and the other a reflective one. The other possibility is that the speakers are not the same sensitivity although this is unlikely. To check this you could move the speaker to the other side and see if 3dB moves with the speaker (remeber to set the controls flat first). If it does your speakers are not well matched and I would be tempted to take them back.

To check to see if it is the AVR300 that is out of balance (set the controls flat first) then swap the two channels over at the back of the AVR300 if the 3dB has moved to the other speaker. Then the problem must be in the AVR300.

Kid Rock replied saying he had moved his speakers away from the walls and paticularly away from a cd rack which seemed to be absorbing alot of sound energy. The system is now balanced L/R without the need to use the channel level controls.

Regards,
    Andrew

6. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,034
    Thanks for posting your reply on here Andrew!