1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR-300 Review - IAR

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by quern, Feb 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. quern

quern
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello All.

Someone on another board posted a review they found on the AVR-300. This review was performed by IAR - International Audio/Video Review. It is quite the lengthy review... and when printed out looks like a Steven King novel. :D It is Very pro Arcam and an interesting read. In fact they call the AVR-300 "The Answer". It seems to be a very in depth review... I really found their idea of "tricking" the receiver to use the rear surrounds as side surrounds for DVD-Audio and SACD Audio as interesting. Following is the link if you would like to check it out.

Cheers.

Jerry

http://www.iar-80.com/page130.html

2. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get me wrong, I love my AVR-300, but the author(s) seem to be way too enthusiastic about this kit. It almost makes them seem biased. With that said, I was wondering if anyone has tried their recommded tweaks to get optimal sound from their AVR-300.

3. melson

melson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done a couple of the things they did....I changed the sub crossover from 80 to 90 and I changed the subwoofer from large + Sub to just large and it did seem to make the sound a bit better....but I really like the avr300 anyway so I have a very biased opinion..... :)

4. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    A little OTT. But it is a cracking amp. I'd never heard of Von Gaylord Chinchilla interconnects though! Must get some!:)

5. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the power cords? Does a higher quality cord really make a difference? If it does, which one is best (in the US)?

6. melson

melson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont have a different power cord but I do have everything plugged into a monster power line conditioner.....

7. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you notice a (significant) difference?

8. melson

melson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, its not a huge difference at all....but everything helps......I am going to try a couple of other things when I get a chance.....I already use the rears as bimaped to the front for stereo........

9. dfindlay

dfindlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That article is too much. It reads like an infomerical, reminding us again and again it's the best unit on the market and as good as many seperates setups. I'm surprised it doesn't claim we can achieve rock-hard abs merely by listening to it with scotch in hand. Does anybody know anything about this publication and their reputation?

10. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually...I did get rock hard abs from listening to my AVR-300. The sound associated with high action films is...well, gut wrenching...Bottom line...my abs got toned. ;)

11. melson

melson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine too..... :smashin:

12. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm a a big fan of Arcam gear, but I agree the article is pretty heavy-handed, and that -- to my mind -- diminshes perceived credibility.

13. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My abs unaffected.... and I have a reasonable Monitor Audio sub .... what am I doing wrong? The low frequencies give an almost identical sound whether it's a helicopter, a machine gun or thunder and lightening ..... and it's very directional. I've played aound with the cross-over frequency but without much luck. It does shake the house foundations but it's so crude and undifferentiated.

14. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Gimball,

I don't know the sub you are using but it sounds like you have it in the wrong place in the room this can cause the problems you are describing. Subs usually work best near a side wall just off of the center of the wall. Keep them away from corners. the other thing that can cause the problem you have described is L shaped rooms which can have big room nodes in some locations again moving the sub will probably help but in this situation you may also have to move your listening position.

Regards,
    Andrew

15. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy,

Sub is a Monitor Audio FB210 and is placed left of left front speaker about 60cm from front wall and 100 cm from corner of 6.5 metre square room with a 3 metre high ceiling.

Therefore ......

1. Sub is probably misplaced as you suggest - I will shoot downtown and buy a longer cable immediately!

2. It seems that is probably not an AVR300 or Arcam issue so I should mozy over to the sub-woofer forum