1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR 300 Need Help Please Re: Digital signal sound

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Bobbyc17, Sep 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Bobbyc17

Bobbyc17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having a problem with my AVR 300. I currently have a DVD player and a Cable box hooked up to my receiver. Both are using coax digital cables (DVD into the DVD coax input, and Cable box into the AV coax input). The Cable box video is hooked up into the component AV inputs, and the DVD into the DVD component inputs. The problem is that I am getting no sound. The display reads Dolby Prologic II, PCM, DIGITAL. I have tried everything but I cant seem to get it to work including trying different modes like Mono, stereo, Dolby prologic, etc. If I connect regular interconnects to the cable box or the DVD and input them into the regular L & R analog inputs and switch to stereo direct mode then I can get full sound but I cannot get anything out of the digital cables for either the cable box (AV) or the DVD. Please help !!!!! Thanks

2. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Have you gone into the amps main setup menu (press and hold menu button for 3-5 seconds) and assigned the digital inputs to your requirements? :)

3. Bobbyc17

Bobbyc17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the digital inputs are all assigned correctly, yet no sound. I have a feeling the receiver thinks dvd and av are analog two channel sources and it is not looking for digital signals for some reason, but i cant find any way to change that.

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Try pressing and holding the source selct button for a few seconds

5. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    OK...
    You are feeding it digital signal (PCM it seems from the display information).
    Does it display DolbyDigital if you feed it a DD signal?
    If so then it is correctly detecting the type of digital input.

Have you tried the headphone output to see if you get anything with any of the above sources? (I suspect you are going to have the same problem here)

Now, on an input that only has an analogue source, say, the internal tuner - is it still the case that you get audio through if set to Stereo Direct, but not if it is Analogue Stereo?

I'll wait to see what happens before I go any further.
    Mark

6. Bobbyc17

Bobbyc17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am feeding it a digital signal from a dvd player and a cable box, DD sometimes, but I can never switch the mode to DD, it only goes through mono, stereo, prolog 2, and neo 6. My problem is that it is not detecting a digital input at all. I tried the headphone output, no sound. When i use the regular analog inputs in stereo direct mode i get normal sound, but I cant get anything out of the Digital inputs, and when i have a dig input selected the speakers make a popping noise when i increase the volume each decibel. Personally I think the board that coincides with the digital cable inputs is fried.

7. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If you've fed it a DD signal (and your DVD player isn't set to output a PCM stereo downmix!) but the AVR300 doesn't change to DD and doesn't output any audio from any kind of digital input, then I'm afraid as you suggested, that it sounds as though the Digial/DSP board isn't very well at all.

Discuss this with your dealer, but it's looking like a repair job.

8. biggygiant

biggygiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BobbyC17 - did you get anywhere with this? I seems to have the exact same problem...

I feed a digital DD signal via either coax or toslink and get no audio whatsoever, and the receiver only gives me the option to select DPL2, mono, stereo etc

If I switch it to analogue inputs I get the sound.

And yes my DV-79 is set to bitstream/6ch. output.

Any ideas?

/biggygiant

9. biggygiant

biggygiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took it back to the shopand once they tested it and saw the same behaviour they replaced it on the spot.

So now I have a brand new AVR-300 and it works fine. =)

/bfg