1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR-250 = ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Robosapien, Jul 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Robosapien

Robosapien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Listened to an Arcam AVR-250 at a friend's house the other day - very nice indeed. I would like to run out and buy one for myself but, unfortunately, it's a bit out of my budget range. Can anyone, preferably with first hand experience, tell me how high I would have to go(model) in let's say a Denon, Marantz or maybe Yamaha to reach similar sound quality. I would be using it in HT applications about 80% of the time. My speakers are Boston Acoustics CR series.

2. Robosapien

Robosapien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since I wasn't getting any replies I went out and had a quick listen for myself. I compared the Arcam against a Denon AVR-2805 and a Yamaha RX-V1500. The Arcam sounded considerably better both in stereo and HT applications. This was no big surprise, especially since the Denon and Yamaha cost about $600.00 CDN less than the Arcam. I then compared the Arcam against a Rotel RSX-1056. While music sounded slightly better on the Arcam the Rotel appeared to have the edge with movies. I also noticed that the Arcam remote looked pathetic when compared to the Rotel's.
    I somehow doubt that similarly priced Denons or Yamahas would necessarily yield better results sound wise - just more power and a few extra bells and whistles. Since I did not have the time to compare all the advantages/disadvantages of these units please feel free to add your two cents. (I don't want to feel like I was talking to myself here)

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I don't think that you'll find a better sounding AV receiver for the money than the Arcam unit. Even the offerings from Denon, Marantz and Yamaha at the same price cannot compete in my opinion. I suggest you start saving your pennies. (or cents)

4. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You really have to listen for yourself, I went out with the expectation of buying the AVR300 but I prefered the sound of the Denon AVR3805 - even in stereo (my wife thought likewise). The Arcam kit gives a more detailed, open sound, but for me the timing was pretty screwed up and the bass sounded like it was constipated (especially with movies). This might have been a function of the Arcam not liking my Linn speakers, which is why it is vital that you try out ant expensive piece of kit before you buy it.

5. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I would take a look at the Marantz 7500.

If your priorities are mainly movies maybe also a Denon 2805, if mainly musical a NAD 753...

6. Robosapien

Robosapien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NAD(reliability issues) and Yamaha(sound) are definitely out of the picture. Denon deserves another listen and Marantz could prove to be the dark horse. But if I had to make a decision right now it would be the AVR-250

7. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Very interesting machine and performance... but the lack of pré-outs would turn my head to the AVR 300 or Rotel 1056 or to a Marantz 8500 or 7500...

8. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Would have thought the Arcam would have driven Linn speakers better than the Denon but then again Linn stuff is quirky. Did you get a chance to listen to the Arcam Bi amped as its a less than subtle difference ( mind you when biamped you can only have 5.1 set up). Ive got a Denon 3802 by the way

9. Robosapien

Robosapien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Rotel sounded nice in the store but apparently it's somewhat of a ''Hisser''.
    Spending $2000.00(CDN) on a receiver only to discover that it hisses would make me neurotic.

10. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "Would have thought the Arcam would have driven Linn speakers better than the Denon but then again Linn stuff is quirky. Did you get a chance to listen to the Arcam Bi amped as its a less than subtle difference ( mind you when biamped you can only have 5.1 set up). Ive got a Denon 3802 by the way"

Yes, me too, I fully expected the Arcam to blow the Denon away on sound. But coming from a Naim stereo setup, timing is very important to me and the Arcam just didn't deliver in this area. I didn't try the Arcam in Bi-Amp mode, but as I am using the 3805 to drive a set of speakers in a second room this wouldn't have been a valid comparison.
    It all goes to show the importance of a proper demonstration and not buying on spec/recommendations. I'm quite sure that some folk (the kind that prefer Musical Fidelity to Naim) would have preferred the Arcam sound.

11. Blindman

Blindman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a AVR 300 biamped to Quad 21Ls - it sounds fantastic. If you only want 5.1, I'd definately give biamping a demo on the AVR250. :) Also, as with all stuff av, make sure the demo is set up properly - the Arcam sounded MUCH better at home when we'd set it up properly than in the shop, though we still bought it!