1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR 250 & linn & B&W speaker set up

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Pusscat, Aug 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Pusscat

Pusscat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, Forgive my ignorance here but I’m a bit of a home theatre virgin and don’t really know how they work!

I’m wanting to get an Arcam avr250 for music / DVD. I already have a pair of Linn nexus 250’s that I wanted to bi-amp and use as the front left & right / stereo speakers. The room size is modest and space a premium so was thinking of getting some B&W M1’s for rears and centre…. I really don’t have room for a sub. Any view and comments?!

In stereo, I’m happy with the frequency range I get already from the Nexus . But I’m not too sure how it works in 5.1 sound if you don’t have the .1 bit there!. Are the whole range of frequencies sent to each speaker or are they filtered out and only sent to the sub? ie. if I didn’t have a sub, would the nexus sound ‘full’ or would they only have the higher frequencies given to them?

Also, if there are say low frequencies which may be sent to rear left during a particular scene…if there was a sub I assume these would go to the sub along with all the other speaker ‘low’s’ …if you tell the system you don’t have a sub, will the frequencies still be sent to the speakers…now I’m getting myself confused! I suppose I’m asking will the nexus front L & R act as a type of sub during 5.1 playback!

If anyone can shed any light to a complete novice, I’d be most grateful!

2. bjoern

bjoern
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm not familiar with the 250, but I will give it a try in general...
    The ".1" is a separate channel mixed in to the soundtrack of the DVD and is normally handled by the sub.
    How this signal will be treated if a sub is not present is dependent on the rest of the speakers and how they are set up in your processor.
    If your main speakers (Front L/R) are full range and set to "Large" they will take care of the .1 signal in addition to the full signal that is normally sent to them.
    On the other hand, if you don't have full range main speakers and they are set to "Small", but you do have a sub, the sub will handle the lower frequencies from the main speakers in addition to the .1 signal. I believe the sub will handle the low frequencies from all speakers that are set to "Small".

3. Pusscat

Pusscat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Bjoern,
    Many thanks for that...what you've said makes great sense and it all becomes clear!
    Ta,
    Pusscat