1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR 200 specs/mini review

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ReTrO, Nov 3, 2001.

Tags:
  1. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    We recived our first delivery of Arcam AVR 200's yesterday, and managed to get one in the demo room today replacing our older AVR 100.

It's a peach of a receiver, much better then the previous 100, and worth it's £800 asking price this time.

Specs are:

70w/ch 5ch.s
    90w/ch stereo
    dts/DD
    DPL1
    DPLII (Movies, Music, Matrix, Panorama)
    Hall DSP

Improved bass managemnet, Now up to spec with other similar models.

5 digital inputs (non-assignable) coax for DVD, SAT, VCR, optical for TAPE and AUX
    Coax digital output.

4mm binding posts, rather then Arcam standards

Extra AUX s-video input, now 4 in and 2 out

Nicer graphite colour buttons.

Well worth an audition!

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I hope so. The Arcam 100 wasn't one of Arcam better efforts, in fact I prefered the £500 NAD receiver whick looks like it has a surprizingly common family tree, a few cap and transformer mods from memory for an awful lot of extra money.

Arcam are capable of so much more (look at their CD players, DVD players and the A85 amp). All are class leading and then we get the 100. I am glad they have done something about it. I hope it is competitive with the laikes of the class leading Denons now.

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    So... how does it sound... any leaking across channels..

I am seriously thinking of this as I want a amp to do both music and movies (and I want DPL II). Is it available in Black to match my DV88...

I was considering going the Tag route.. but it may be overkill for myfront room...

Cannont find anything on the web about the AVR200... there is nought on the arcam site.

So anyone want to buy a Yam RVX795 then ???

Cheers

Matt

:clown:

4. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how strange, I was just thinking the other day that although I absolutely love my AVR100 for music/stereo playback, it does have quite a few annoying habits and I was wondering when Arcam would bring out a receiver that was better for HC. I must admit I thought they would bring out a processor next so I'm amazed that this is out so early. As soon as I got my AVR100 I wanted PLII, not essential but very handy. I doubt I would get a new receiver just yet but maybe in another 6 months if this one proves to be much better I may be very tmped indeed!

So what does it look like?

5. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The question is, can you use the sub when in 2 channel/stereo mode or do you have to connect it with speaker cable as well as a phono interconnect.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    No channel leaking that I can hear.

Dunno about any other info sources as yet, we may have recived an early delivery, we have a very nice Arcam rep.

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It looks almost exactly like the AVR 100, but with darker graphite coloured buttons on the front, and the extra connections on the back, and of course the Dolby Digital Pro Logic II badge!

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59

It now has the option to have the sub in in 2ch. stereo mode. So if you have large speakers you can have the sub off for music and on for DVD's. Something a few other similary priced amps/receivers don't have.

Which is nice...

9. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the sound quality better?? And more importantly for us who have just stumped up £800 for the AVR100....will there be a upgrade for the AVR100?????

I think I can live without DPLII but the extra digital inputs would be useful...

10. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't even think about that, I would be more than happy to pay a few hundred for an upgrade, however I doubt that will be possible, Arcam normally only offer upgrades on their CD players
    :(

11. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope that Arcam will offer an upgrade!! I know that when you buy HC kit like this there is always a risk that it will be superceded by a new model, but how long has the AVR100 been about??? Less than a year??

Thats not very long is it. I'm sure that most of us who bought one of these receivers at the start of the year wouldn't have expected it to be replaced with a vastly superior version in just 10 months time........

What does Arcam have to say about this I wonder??

12. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I can't see an upgrade from the 100 to 200 since they are made in China, whereas the rest is made in the UK.

I suspect it would be possible, but it would take a lot of changes to it.

A trade in would be your best bet at the moment, it would have to be direct with Arcam though as i suspect you would not get much from a dealer.

13. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Retro...

From a previous thread about upgrading a DV88 to the DV27, John at Arcam said they do not themselves do a trade-in as such.. and that you would have to bargain with a dealer :(

So it does not look good for the AVR100 owners....

Matt

14. Dorian

Dorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    ReTrO,

How does the AVR-200 improve on the AVR-100 for sound quality? I'm really happy with my AVR-100 but after recently using an Onkyo for a while, I've realised that the Arcam is a bit bright sounding with films. For music it's excellent.

Have they added cinema re-equalisation to the AVR-200? And does the processor detect sound formats any quicker ?

Thanks

15. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Dorian: The 200 still has a small delay in detecting the digital sound formats, which is abit annoying.

The sound it's self is more together and smoother. It's not bright, vene without a cinema-eq engaged (because there isn't the option for one).