arcam avr 200 can it be upgraded?

kid rock

Probably a stupid question.I have the AVR 200 but I am interested in 6.1/7.1. Could Arcam upgrade the unit or do I have to buy the new avr 300?:rolleyes:

KId Rock

John Dawson

Novice Member
Well, you can keep the power cord but that's about it!

Seriously the AVR300 is a ground up new design and no parts of any consequence are shared with the AVR200. And, for the avoidance of doubt, the 300 is positioned above the 200 in the market and is not intended as a direct replacement for the 200.

We will be showing / demonstrating the AVR300 at the Bristol show in 2 weeks' time.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

kid rock

John thanks for your reply. I am interested in the new unit sounds as though it will be worth waitiing for here in Germany. One final question will the avr 300 have thx select certification and if no, why not? :cool: Kid rock

RaceTripper

Standard Member
Originally posted by kid rock
John thanks for your reply. I am interested in the new unit sounds as though it will be worth waitiing for here in Germany. One final question will the avr 300 have thx select certification and if no, why not? :cool: Kid rock

I haven't thought to ask that, but am interested in the answer.

I believe the AV8 has THX, but nothing I've seen about the AVR300 says that it does as well. But I also wonder how important it is to have it. Does it really make a difference, or is it just marketing?

Dean

John Dawson

Novice Member
THX has several unique features in terms of sound processing which are designed for use with THX certified speakers. This is appropriate at the top of the market but less so, in my opinion, in the mainstream market where the AVR300 is positioned and where such speakers are generally not available.

There are also cost implications in terms of licence fees and so on. All in all we decided it was not required to have THX certification for the AVR300.

Hope that helps.

John Dawson (Arcam)

RaceTripper

Standard Member
Originally posted by John Dawson
THX has several unique features in terms of sound processing which are designed for use with THX certified speakers. This is appropriate at the top of the market but less so, in my opinion, in the mainstream market where the AVR300 is positioned and where such speakers are generally not available.

There are also cost implications in terms of licence fees and so on. All in all we decided it was not required to have THX certification for the AVR300.

Hope that helps.

John Dawson (Arcam)

Thanks John...

That sounds reasonable to me. I'm using Dynaudio Audience speakers, which are not THX certified. But they do sound awesome with the AVR200 and I very much look forward to hearing them with the 300. I'm sure I'll will love the improvements of the 300, along with the additional pair of Audience rear surrounds I'll add.

Dean

mick23

Standard Member
to john dawson john can you tell me what the power output is for new avr 300 or is there specs on website.

John Dawson

Novice Member
Mick 23 -

The power output into 8 ohms is 120 WPC two channels driven and 100 WPC with all 7 channels driven simultaneously.

Please take care when comparing power ratings - some highly rated Japanese receivers quote huge power outputs but fail to mention this is only with one or two channels driven. They utterly fail to deliver this when all channels are driven simultaneously.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

kid rock

John this sounds fantastic I thought it would be 7 channels at 80 watts all driven.Another question will it also come in black- all of my other av stuff, speakers aside, are black and I dont therefore fancy silver.:D Cant wait

Kid Rock

mick23

Standard Member
dean
slightly of topic what model of dynaudio are you using?
the reason i ask is i will demoing dynaudio audience 42/52/62/ and pmc tb2 tuesday .
dealer has suggested that avr 200 will sound better than my denon 3802 in sterio mode.

not sure of specs for avr 200 but this is 5 channel ,so i lose rear surrounds ,not sure if it has pl2 etc,

not sure if dealer wants to shift old stock? makes more sence to me to add a75+ to 3802 or possible wait for avr 300 .

RaceTripper

Standard Member
Originally posted by mick23
dean
slightly of topic what model of dynaudio are you using?
the reason i ask is i will demoing dynaudio audience 42/52/62/ and pmc tb2 tuesday .
dealer has suggested that avr 200 will sound better than my denon 3802 in sterio mode.

not sure of specs for avr 200 but this is 5 channel ,so i lose rear surrounds ,not sure if it has pl2 etc,

Mick...

I have:

Front: Audience 72
Center: Audience 122C
Surround: Audience 62
Sub: Audience SUB-30A

When I get my AVR300 I'll either add a pair of Audience 52 for rears, or I might replace the 62s and use Audience 52SE for both surrounds and rears. I'm also thinking about adding a Contour Sub.

The AVR200 sounds excellent in stereo mode, and it does have Dolby PLII, as well as DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. The Dynaudio Audience work beautifully with it.

You can't go wrong with the AVR200 for the price. It's very impressive. And you will not be disppointed with the Dyns, no matter which ones you get. They sound great for both music and AV.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom