ARCAM AVR 10 VS MARANTZ SR7015

RoyTheBoy69

Novice Member
Hi, Guys the more I look the more I am getting myself confused.
I am looking to replace my Arcam AVR380 to get up to the latest Dolby standards and I can pick up an Arcam AVR10 FOR £1500 But I also like the look of the Marantz 7015 My real choice would be the Nad 778 but that is past my budget.
The rest of my system is 7 x PMC Wafer 1s 1 M&K SUB A REL Stadium and 2 butt kickers.
Advice please as no one really reviews the entry-level Arcams and I do not want to short change my speakers.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
By latest Dolby standards you probably mean that you want to have atmos system so adding overhead/height channels?

If you are keeping the 7 speakers you have now and add more then you would need to add poweramp with the AVR10 as it has 7 power amplifiers only with 7.1.4 processing so it will end up costing more. Also you would need laptop/pc with the new AVR-10 for Dirac Live setup and little bit of reading how to optimize things. AVR10 has weaker powersupply vs. your AVR380. You can ask in the AVR10/20/30 owners thread does this still have bugs.

Marantz has 9 power amplifiers so you can get 7.2.2 / 5.2.4 out of box and 7.2.4 is possible with the addition of 2ch poweramp. This is also easier to setup and bug free generally with 5year warranty (Peter Tyson), however you need to buy product built after May 2021 for the working hdmi 2.1. Serial number *******70001 onwards, dealer will check you this.

You seem to have good receiver now which is bit old with connections and features but otherwise the same hd audio support (dolby true hd / dts hd ma /dd+) so i would think twice how important the upgrade is for the "latest dolby standards" if that is the only reason.

Zarf2007

I would bag one of these:

comes with 5 year warranty, supports all major sound (atmos/dts:x) and hdr (hdr/hlg/dv) formats, ARC, 4k up to 60Hz and will sound excellent for both music and movies. You could probably offer £1k and they would accept. They use the same insides as the avr850 which was £4k+ originally…

review here:

JiffOrangery

I can confirm that the AVR10/20/30 are stable and working well since the 1.46 firmware, I've got a AVR10 and no issues at all.

As far as power, I'm driving Kef R series all round (height channels off boarded to a second amp) in a 7.1.4 config and no issues with power, the kef's are known to be difficult to drive but the Arcam makes them sing. I demoed against a Marantz 8015 and Denon X8500 and Aracm won me over with the scale, natural sound, clean midrange and lack of roll off in the mids and highs. It was just for me in my room a better class. I'd seriously advise demoing in your own room any amp prior to purchase, it's the only way to be sure....

J

anteranz

Hello, so did you like the avr10 more than a whole 8500/8015? And what power? They are only 60w vs the double that you get in the 8500 should be noticeable right?

JiffOrangery

Hi,

It's 85W for the Arcam (60W with 7 channels driven) Vs 150W for the Denon with 2 channel driven at 8 ohms (no idea on power for 13 channels - not quoted).

Maybe I'm not listening at a loud enough level but the Denon didn't wow me and sounded warm, lacking definition and just didn't have the same musicality or scale as the Arcam. You may get different in your room but the Denon and Marantz sounded dull to me with music, both were great with movies and I wouldn't complain with either but the Arcam with Dirac was a better. Numbers don't determine sound quality.

The Arcam has its share of issues and is a bit of a pain from a usability pov but for sound quality it's no contest. My 2 cents, in my room so your milage may vary.

J

anteranz

Hi,

It's 85W for the Arcam (60W with 7 channels driven) Vs 150W for the Denon with 2 channel driven at 8 ohms (no idea on power for 13 channels - not quoted).

Maybe I'm not listening at a loud enough level but the Denon didn't wow me and sounded warm, lacking definition and just didn't have the same musicality or scale as the Arcam. You may get different in your room but the Denon and Marantz sounded dull to me with music, both were great with movies and I wouldn't complain with either but the Arcam with Dirac was a better. Numbers don't determine sound quality.

The Arcam has its share of issues and is a bit of a pain from a usability pov but for sound quality it's no contest. My 2 cents, in my room so your milage may vary.

J
I see you didn't see amir's review of the 8500 where it gave 5ch 130w.

I'm with you in which music the 8500 sounded boring, I changed it for an avr20 which I am delighted but I did not find a difference day and night.

JiffOrangery

I didn't see the review but I'm happy with my choice. I find Amir's tests a bit too stats focused and not focusing on the sound of the equipment which is more important for me.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom