1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVP700/P1000 or Yamaha DSP-Z9

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Ashmaster, Jun 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Ashmaster

Ashmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone. Please don't give any bias opinion regarding this topic. I know that this is the Arcam Forum and that everyone here loves Arcam and I do as well. However, there is a valid reason (in my situation) why I'm asking this.

I know about the new Arcam combo AVP700/P1000 and I think it's perfect for my needs (I have B&W805, HTM2, 705); it also has HDMI, which I think is a great plus, because it will be in some way future proof.

The problem is we don't have an Arcam dealer where I come from and I basically have to order it from a country close by. This poses a few problems to me. The first is the delivery, it will take a number of days and there is always the possibility of damage on the way. Another risk is that if the unit experiences any problems I would have to pay to send the whole unit back and pay again for it to be delivered to me.

This is a big hassle but for quite some time I was willing to do it. Furthermore, I can't expect any discounts from the Arcam dealer as the unit I want is new and I haven't established a good relationship with him.

There is an alternative though. The best amp I can get here is the Yamaha Z9. It is supposed to be a very good amp. The price range (retail) is similar to the Arcam; however, I have an exceptionally good relationship with the Yamaha dealer that I could be able to get 25% discount. I will also have much better after sale service if a problem occurs (no need to send it to another company). It is much more convenient.

I guess my question is, with the disadvantages I have with the Arcam and the advantages I have with the Yamaha. Do you think that the Arcam would out-perform the Yamaha Z9 to a significant level that it will be worth all the hassle and risks involved with ordering from another country? And will it be significant enough to drop the chance of getting a good discount on the Yamaha Z9.

Thanks a lot for you time and opinions

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Depends if you listen to music at all.

If No: Press the 'Yamaha' button

If Yes: Press the 'Arcam' button

3. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry i couldnt help but view your profile.. it says you are from italy.. if so there is an arcam dealer/supplier located...

1 distributor was found in ITALY MPI Electronic SRL
    Via De Amicis 10/12
    Cornaredo
    MILAN,20010
    +39 02 936110.1

4. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Agree to disagree.

I found the arcam outperforms lots of other contenders in the cinema game as well... i like to listen to music a lot more exclusively in the living room since i got my arcam... i couldnt be happier... just gonna wait a few years and gonna move to the FMJ market.

cheers.