1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AV9 with i-Link?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Stereo Steve, Feb 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So, which high end processor manufacturer will be the first to fit an i-link interface? I can well understand small volume manufacturers reluctance to get involved with SACD which explains why most of them go for DVD-A including Arcam. However, looks like SACD may be gaining a solid base and, besides, I want both.

So, apart from buying a Lexicon RT10 which is allegedly a souped up Pioneer anyway, people like me are faced with getting a lower end universal player like the Denon 2900 or Pio 868. Fine DVD players but I want to use the DACS in my high end processor to decode SACD and DVD-A, thereby getting around the poorer DACS in these cheaper DVD players.

Any plans Arcam? I'd like to hear the companies view on the growing strength of SACD and DVD-A and also the i-link issue which also looks like getting a foothold.

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    I'd have thought that it might get a miss altogether and manufacturers will go straight for hdmi/hdmc interfaces if the licenses are sorted out quick enough ??

Jon

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, SACD won't work with HDMI yet but it will work with iLink. It's not always the best solution that makes it to the mass market. I guess most of the low volume manufacturers will wait until one of the solutions wins before paying licenses etc.

I guess I'll have to get the 5.1 bypass for my Tag for the time being. I just don't like the idea of having a top end processor that I have to feed analogue signals too in order to enjoy the best audio mediums. I'm sure an £800 Pioneer SACD deck could pass just as good digital SACD signals as a £3000 Lexicon one. At the moment, you have to buy both high end processor and DVD.