• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Arcam AV9/P7 Combo - Cables?

Ganymede

Can someone please recommend the interconnects that should be used with these two. Seeing as my Sky HD and PS3 will have to be connected via analog cables, I wanted to see what people out there were using?

Thanks! :smashin:

Ambo

Can someone please recommend the interconnects that should be used with these two. Seeing as my Sky HD and PS3 will have to be connected via analog cables, I wanted to see what people out there were using?

Thanks! :smashin:

For audio, I use Chord Chameleon Silver Plus between AV8 and P7 (and from my CD player). For analogue video from Sky HD I use a Supra AV3 (plus 1 analogue sync cable) through an RGBS Scart adaptor to my video scaler. I need analogue to allow my scaler to upscale Sky SD content, but I also have a Chord HDMI cable for HD content.

Any reason why you can't just use HDMI into your AV9? :smashin:

Slackadder

Morning,

Chord Chameleon Silver Plus get my vote - Brighton Sevenoaks are doing a pack deal specifically on these cables for the AV9/P7 which works out at great value.

A great cable and a very pretty cable to boot!:thumbsup:

Anthony

Ganymede

For audio, I use Chord Chameleon Silver Plus between AV8 and P7 (and from my CD player). For analogue video from Sky HD I use a Supra AV3 (plus 1 analogue sync cable) through an RGBS Scart adaptor to my video scaler. I need analogue to allow my scaler to upscale Sky SD content, but I also have a Chord HDMI cable for HD content.

Any reason why you can't just use HDMI into your AV9? :smashin:

I thought that the AV9 does not decode sound over HDMI, only video. Am I wrong on this assumption? :confused:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I thought that the AV9 does not decode sound over HDMI, only video. Am I wrong on this assumption?
You are partly wrong :). Not only does the AV9 not decode audio, it also doesn't "decode" video; it is a pure 5.1 HDMI 1.1 switch.

craigd

The question was what to use, not how much to spend. :nono:
I use Van den Hul D102 MKIIIs between the two.

If you read my post in context you will notice that I am agreeing with StooMonster that Mark Grant cables are a good option because they are not overpriced. I was answering the poster's original question (and offeruing some insight it to my reasons behind my answer) :lesson:

Da Philster

Hope i am not off base but i use a van den hul opticord from the sky hd box into the digi input on the av9 and get full 7.1 surround pretty decent for a sky box.

For a stereo cd i use chord company anthem 2 and let me say in imo its an improvment over the warm vdh integration previously installed and very detailed also most Arcam engineers will tell you they use c/company cables(different types dependent of source) ,although not prob worth it for a ps3 or sky as optical digital is fine and many around at fair prices.

What do you use to connect the av9 out to the p7? Having tried a couple options went for vdh 102 iii as hey offered a balanced solution for pre/power combos although opinions do vary of course.:rolleyes:

Ganymede

You are partly wrong :). Not only does the AV9 not decode audio, it also doesn't "decode" video; it is a pure 5.1 HDMI 1.1 switch.

Sorry mate you've lost me. Do you mean that you cannot use an HDMI cable to pass the video signal.

Perhaps I was incorrect in my use of the term 'decode'. :confused:

Do I have to use analog cables for video as well as sound then? :thumbsup:

PenguinHiFi

Hi Defiant50,

Your post is a little confusing...
What are you looking for ?
- what way and cables touse to hook up devices to the AV9 ?
- which cables to use (brand and model) ?
- what way to connect the P7 to the AV9 ?

As far as I am concerned :
- to hook up devices to my AV9, I always try to determine which DAC is the best : the one on the source or the one on the AV9. Should I decide the DAC on the AV9 is the best, then I hook up the device using a digital cable (coaxial or optical). Should I decide the DAC on the source is the best, then I hook up the device with analog interconnects.
- to connect the AV9 to the P7 I think you have no other choice than using analog interconnects.
- as far as I am concernend, I only use Abbey Road /Moving Air cables. Decent price for exceptional performance (the "Monitor" series offers astonishing results for the price ; the "Reference" series is even better but somewhat more expensive). If you live in France or Netherlands or Luxembourg or Belgium, I will happily provide a demo cable.

Regards.

FRED

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Do you mean that you cannot use an HDMI cable to pass the video signal?
The HDMI cable will pass both the video and the audio to the AV9. The AV9 will switch both the video and the audio from any HDMI input to an HDMI output. Other than switching the AV9 will do nothing with either the video or the audio. Also, since the AV9 has an HDMI 1.1 switch, it won't switch any data requiring HDMI 1.2 or 1.3.

In order to process audio in the AV9 you need to use non-HDMI cables. For video you can switch using the AV9 (within its limits) - or do as I do and totally ignore all video switching in the AV9 and simply connect all video straight to the TV. You can also use a combination if you don't have enough inputs.

Baggy

The HDMI cable will pass both the video and the audio to the AV9. The AV9 will switch both the video and the audio from any HDMI input to an HDMI output. Other than switching the AV9 will do nothing with either the video or the audio. Also, since the AV9 has an HDMI 1.1 switch, it won't switch any data requiring HDMI 1.2 or 1.3.

In order to process audio in the AV9 you need to use non-HDMI cables. For video you can switch using the AV9 (within its limits) - or do as I do and totally ignore all video switching in the AV9 and simply connect all video straight to the TV. You can also use a combination if you don't have enough inputs.

Mark,

I asked this in another thread but this one might be more appropiate.

I have HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and want to know if I could use the AV9 as a HDMI video switcher whilst using the analaogue inputs to gain access to the HD audio?

adinica

In my opinion, one of the best match for the Arcam gear is the Chord Co. Chorus 2. I have tried before some Kimbers (Timbre, Hero, Silver Streak - too lean sounding), Atlas Voyager All Cu (too loose in the bass region, lack control) and even van den Hul`s The Integration and Orchid (not as dynamic, crispy and punchy as the Chord). Have a try with the Chords, these are great musical conductors.

Last edited:

Da Philster

qUOTE=adinica;9656228]In my opinion, one of the best match for the Arcam gear is the Chord Co. Chorus 2. I have tried before some Kimbers (Timbre, Hero, Silver Streak - too lean sounding), Atlas Voyager All Cu (too loose in the bass region) and even van den Hul`s The Integration and Orchid (not so dynamic, crispy and punchy as the Chord). Have a try with the Chords, these are great musical conductors.[/QUOTE]

The speaker cable used sould alo be taken into account. In my line of work i get to speak to manufacturers on a frequent basis,so in regards to Arcam most engineers agree that c/company works very well. Another common theme though is to try and match with spkr cable as this may well have a bearing on the outcome of how the whole system integrates. In my home for eg i use multiple runs of c/company epic twin(a great match for my spkrs but not all other brands) so the safe match to get the most integrated audio signature is anthem 2,chorus or even indigo if funds allow.

If you are a Naim customer with Quad electrostatic spkrs the choice of interconnects would be a far different one im sure. So to summarise factor your budget spkr brand and the sonic sig that floats your boat and use that cash to get the best possible match you can.Oh and remember the music/movie is the most important so dont spend all the time listening to how the hifi sounds just enjoy.

Sounds a bit suck egg i know but any feedback is always wecolme.:)

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I have HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and want to know if I could use the AV9 as a HDMI video switcher whilst using the analaogue inputs to gain access to the HD audio?
Since you quoted my answer to this question, I'm not really sure where our communication problem is.

Yes, you can "use the AV9 as a HDMI video switcher whilst using the analaogue inputs to gain access to the HD audio". However...

The AV9's switch is an HDMI 1.1 switch, so depending on your video switching requirements, it may not be the optimal solution. Connecting the HD source directly to the TV, bypassing the AV9, would probably be the better solution (assuming you have a spare input).

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
... with Quad electrostatic spkrs the choice of interconnects would be a far different one im sure.
Nah. As a Quad ESL owner, I'm prepared to accept Peter Walker's statement.

adinica

Ok, Da Philster, thank you!! :hiya:
But i use the same speaker cable, Chord Co. Epic Twin!:thumbsup:

Baggy

Since you quoted my answer to this question, I'm not really sure where our communication problem is.

Yes, you can "use the AV9 as a HDMI video switcher whilst using the analaogue inputs to gain access to the HD audio". However...

The AV9's switch is an HDMI 1.1 switch, so depending on your video switching requirements, it may not be the optimal solution. Connecting the HD source directly to the TV, bypassing the AV9, would probably be the better solution (assuming you have a spare input).

Sorry Mark for any confusion by my poor question.

I understand it'll HDMI video switch but how do you assign the 5.1/7.1 analogue audio inputs to the HDMI video input?

Connecting the HD source directly to the TV isn't an option as I require 4 inputs and currently use a HDMI switcher. I was hoping to eliminate one box by utilising it's switching capability.

Ganymede

In my opinion, one of the best match for the Arcam gear is the Chord Co. Chorus 2. I have tried before some Kimbers (Timbre, Hero, Silver Streak - too lean sounding), Atlas Voyager All Cu (too loose in the bass region, lack control) and even van den Hul`s The Integration and Orchid (not as dynamic, crispy and punchy as the Chord). Have a try with the Chords, these are great musical conductors.

Pricey at £245 per metre though. ;-)

Da Philster

Nah. As a Quad ESL owner, I'm prepared to accept Peter Walker's statement.

Thanks Mark i was hoping to lure you out for some imput knowing what you own.:cool:.
The reason why i used Naim and quad was just an example as Naim owners traditionally used thier own Din interconnects and from talking to dealers and owners a lot still will not contemplate using anything else,just to show really that its so subjective eh, although who would argue with the late great Peter Walker regarding his creation.

What do you use for your dv137 multi out and between pre and power amp anyway?:)

Da Philster

Ok, Da Philster, thank you!! :hiya:
But i use the same speaker cable, Chord Co. Epic Twin!:thumbsup:

:cool:Great minds .......... and all that. Hope you are enjoying as much as i.:)

Da Philster

Pricey at £245 per metre though. ;-)

How much are thinking of spending per metre as for eg you can obtain said cable from about £150 on flee bay and £172 per 0.8 m pair new and boxed at online centres.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom