Arcam AV860 Processor

Noticed the new processor on the website.

AV860 - AV Processor - Arcam

Now all we need is some pricing from the retailers. I was going to pull the trigger on a 390 but really wanted a processor so I'm hoping it's fairly priced considering it doesn't have any amps. I'm guessing between 2-3K but probably higher considering former prices. Only time will tell.

I think it will be at least 4.5k probably.

Looking at the user manual for this, 1V output for balanced connections seems very low, it's only the same as the RCA output which is unusual. The gain for my P.A. is 6db down when using balanced inputs. :(

Looking at the user manual for this, 1V output for balanced connections seems very low, it's only the same as the RCA output which is unusual. The gain for my P.A. is 6db down when using balanced inputs.

Greetings

Not sounding good for your particular set up as I know you were keen on the balance outputs. If the information is correct, is it worth upgrading from the other models? What are the gains, if any?

Looking at the user manual for this, 1V output for balanced connections seems very low, it's only the same as the RCA output which is unusual. The gain for my P.A. is 6db down when using balanced inputs. :(
The way it is written implies 2V for balanced output, would be something to clarify though

This is an interesting surprise given previous statements from arcam re a processor. Great to have another option for a processor with Dirac. I will be curious re it's price point as the other option I was looking at was the nad m17 with the Dirac upgrade

Unless there are significant changes from the "AVR" platform (i.e. More changes than there were from 750/450 to 950) or the price is close to the AVR390 price then I suspect most people would be better off with the AVR390 and just ignoring its built in amps. Only if you are running long cables (only those using active speakers essentially) then will the AV860 make sense.

Just my thoughts prior to any real details.

This will be expensive. All Arcam processors are.

The price on this should be good as it looks identical to the processors, apart from the xlr s. Hope arcam don't rip customers off

I reckon this will be at least £5k [emoji16]

This will be expensive. All Arcam processors are.
That's not actually true. The AVP700 was only a couple of hundred more than the AVR300 it was based on. Arcam may have learned from the AVR950 that people won't buy an AVR without amplification for more than the AVR it's based on.

So as the AV860 is based on the AVR390/550/850 platform then it could be anywhere from £2,000 (AVR390 price) and £5000 (AVR850 plus £500).

That's not actually true. The AVP700 was only a couple of hundred more than the AVR300 it was based on. Arcam may have learned from the AVR950 that people won't buy an AVR without amplification for more than the AVR it's based on.

So as the AV860 is based on the AVR390/550/850 platform then it could be anywhere from £2,000 (AVR390 price) and £5000 (AVR850 plus £500).

Hope has been restored:). But seriously, without any amps it should be less than the 390 but iwe can be pretty sure that isn't going to happen. I'm thinking more at the 2700-3500 bracket as there's nothing there at the moment. There's a big gap between the 550 and 850 price. For me personally, anything over 3k and I'll be leaning back to the 390.

No info coming from the dealers. You have to admire their loyalty and strength of character. They would be good spies:).

Wasn't the AVP700 part of their Diva range? (lower range down from the FMJ stuff)
No way will this be anywhere near 2k - even 3k !
I suspect this will be right at the very top end of your estimate.

If this unit will be a clone of the AudioControl M9, as they share the same platform and some of the components, it will be around 8k€.

Wasn't the AVP700 part of their Diva range? (lower range down from the FMJ stuff)
No way will this be anywhere near 2k - even 3k !
I suspect this will be right at the very top end of your estimate.
It was (part of the Diva range) yes, but then at that time so we're all the AVRs. Anyway I suspect it will be at the top end too which is a shame. As I started off most people are likely better off with a AVR390 even if not using its built in amps - balanced is only relevant in specific circumstances.

If this unit will be a clone of the AudioControl M9, as they share the same platform and some of the components, it will be around 8k€.
Yes the AudioControl M9 shares the same platform but the "upgrades" over the AVR aren't the same for the AudioControl M9 and AV860 - the M9 has only 8 balanced outputs and also adds 2 balanced inputs vs 12 channel balanced output for the Arcam.

Maybe Arcam's new owners will provide better pricing.

Hi Guys,
Just got an e-mail through from Arcam saying the price will be £3999 and will be available in January 2017, that seems pretty fair to me.

Ouch, did they give any indication what advantage it has over say the 390 or 550?

Hi Guys,
Just got an e-mail through from Arcam saying the price will be £3999 and will be available in January 2017, that seems pretty fair to me.
Seams a little expensive compared with the Anthem AVM60; but its also competing against the Nad M17 (M17.2) and Primare SP33 which are more. So slightly more than I would have hoped for but not excessive ... still more attracted to AVR390 plus power amps though!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom