Arcam AV860 or Anthem AVM60

I'm very pleased with the 860, but deeply regret that it does not properly accommodate balanced inputs/outputs. Dirac was the biggest selling point; I'm hoping to upgrade to Dirac 2 shortly, maybe even tonight. Note that despite my reservations, the 860 forms the basis of a 'serious' system (my definition) so don't imagine I'm disappointed.

That’s some serious kit!!

That’s some serious kit!!

Coming from you and that lot in your signature, I appreciate your response. We're actually similar as I've a JVC/Lumagen as well, but Atmos is still on the to-do list! Note there is a 4-channel Arcam amp in there for the purpose, but that's as far as it's got.

I'm very pleased with the 860, but deeply regret that it does not properly accommodate balanced inputs/outputs. Dirac was the biggest selling point; I'm hoping to upgrade to Dirac 2 shortly, maybe even tonight. Note that despite my reservations, the 860 forms the basis of a 'serious' system (my definition) so don't imagine I'm disappointed.
What do you mean about the balanced inputs /outputs, what is the issue?

Kevin

Before the Arcam I had a fully balanced system: CD player>DAC>Preamp>Controller>Power amps. As the Arcam does not accept balanced inputs, I'm screwed; having a balanced signal for part of the path, converting it to unbalanced, and then reconverting to balanced (within the Arcam) will almost certainly eliminate any benefit I derive from the balanced cables, given that the runs are all short.

I've basically given up on stereo in the cinema, and pulled out the quality CD player, DAC and Preamp and now rely on the Oppo>'stereo direct'>Arcam via unbalanced, then convert to balanced to the power amps, as I already have the XLR cables. For movies it makes no audible difference whatsoever, and I then went further by taking out four monoblocs to the surround/rear channels and using a multi-channel amp.

I ought to thank Arcam for allowing me to remove so many boxes, and forcing me to get serious about a separate stereo.

Interesting your comments on XLR for movies, as was thinking of investing in XLR if I got the AV860, but would only be used for movies as for music can use Meridian 218 straight into meridian 271 via digital speakerlink, then digital onto meridian speakers. Have chord phono cables currently so staying as is for a while allows the investment in the 218. Using Roon and Tidal MQA as source.

Will try combinations and see if I can tell difference/preference. Ie meridian 218 for music no xlr on arcam or arcam plus xlr for music and movies, no 218.

Kevin

An optimised music stereo is very different to an optimised movie (or music) surround system but, quite frankly, you'd need to venture far into the rabbit-hole of 'high end' before problems arise with a good quality combined system. I'd be interested in what your conclusion is.

I'm sure my new found relaxed attitude to this is due to having a good separate stereo; before that I went to great lengths to integrate a relatively pure path stereo into the surround system. I think what swung it was that I need the Arcam for Dirac, so circumventing it for stereo via a separate pre-amp became pointless. Note that I use a stereo Dirac for my music system; I suppose I could have introduced this separately into stereo part of the surround system, but there comes a point where you start to question your own sanity, or at least whether you are obsessing too much. Now there's a dangerous thought.

Let’s hope so, I’ve just had an 860 arrive today, replacing my 550 that was used as a processor only.
I'm considering an AV upgrade.. Was wondering if you had any further feedback with the Arcam 860 compared to the Marantz AV8805?

I read someone commenting on AV receivers tuned with Dirac or ARC, apparently compared to Audyssey at lower level listening level (approx 60db) they sound very dull? Is this something you noticed?

Not at all. I have an 860. I got rid of the anthem avm60 after an 860 demo at home. The thing about room correction is you cant just let it do its own thing. You have to adjust the line it follows to your taste. All of them are based on the manufactures view of what an ideal speaker should sound like in an ideal room yet the irony is we all own different speakers because we like different sounds. Try getting a professional who likes the sort of sound you like to calibrate your room if getting techy is not your thing. Im a techy and i have my goto guy coming this Wednesday to recalibrate my cinema because i made some upgrades. I can do it but i like having a professional do it because they bring much more experience to the table which i can learn from. Hope this helps.

Re the marantz.. its a great piece of kit. Its strengh is its features but Arcams focus and reputation has always been the pursuit of sound quality. My mate has the Marantz and loves it. For me though dirac cant be beat at this price point.

I'm considering an AV upgrade.. Was wondering if you had any further feedback with the Arcam 860 compared to the Marantz AV8805?

I read someone commenting on AV receivers tuned with Dirac or ARC, apparently compared to Audyssey at lower level listening level (approx 60db) they sound very dull? Is this something you noticed?

Yeah I do. The Marantz absolutely blows the Arcam out of the water in my setup.

Much more lively sound, better use of surrounds and my subwoofers came alive.

I listen at around -5db from reference.

I wont be changing the Marantz.

Yeah I do. The Marantz absolutely blows the Arcam out of the water in my setup.

Much more lively sound, better use of surrounds and my subwoofers came alive.

I listen at around -5db from reference.

I wont be changing the Marantz.
Thanks for the reply .. it's always helpful to hear actual end user experience :thumbsup:

In defence of the Arcam/Dirac, you can tailor the sound, indeed the sound of each channel separately, to your own tastes and preferences. On which basis I'd like to say I can't imagine my system sounding any better. But, as it is in fairly constant state of flux, I'd be unwise to do so.

Based around the 860, I'm actually going through a process of simplification, and will stop at the point, or just before the point, I feel I'm losing something. I've currently replaced five of my seven Parasound JC1 monoblocs with a single Parasound A51 ... no problem. Now stripping out six REL 25s and substituting something smaller (you'll know what I mean if you've seen a single REL 25). We'll see, but I'm not too fearful of the outcome.

Basically, and I know it's heresy to say so, but you can go too far. Although it possibly takes going too far to actually recognise it.

In defence of the Arcam/Dirac, you can tailor the sound, indeed the sound of each channel separately, to your own tastes and preferences. On which basis I'd like to say I can't imagine my system sounding any better. But, as it is in fairly constant state of flux, I'd be unwise to do so.

Based around the 860, I'm actually going through a process of simplification, and will stop at the point, or just before the point, I feel I'm losing something. I've currently replaced five of my seven Parasound JC1 monoblocs with a single Parasound A51 ... no problem. Now stripping out six REL 25s and substituting something smaller (you'll know what I mean if you've seen a single REL 25). We'll see, but I'm not too fearful of the outcome.

Basically, and I know it's heresy to say so, but you can go too far. Although it possibly takes going too far to actually recognise it.
With the flexibility that you've described per channel tweak, i can't see how that can be beaten. I'm holding back until the release of Anthem's newer ARC Genesis which is next month, then maybe try get a demo for 860 and AVM 60.

Those REL 25 are monsters.. and you had 6 :eek: hope your ear drums are still intact :D. Which speakers are you running?

The RELs are actually TOO big; I never imagined I'd say that. I'm swapping them out for a pair of KEF Reference subs, which are tiny, and a pair of REL Predators, which aren't. Otherwise, everything's KEF, with Ref 5s and a 4 for the surrounds, and C200s for the overheads.

I'm putting the big RELs into my stereo. It's not a matter of eardrums, or fillings, it's teeth shaken out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom