Arcam AV850 DAC

paultee

I use an Arcam AV 850 and stream music using an Auralic Aries G1 streamer through a Tellurium digital coax. I keep reading how good the Chord Qutest DAC is and am considering buying one, BUT, how much improvement will I hear? Your thoughts please, does anyone else have this combination?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
The only way you are going to find out how much improvement you can hear, if any, is to arrange to borrow the Chord from your dealer on a "keep if like" basis.

IMHO, given your level of electronics, you may be better off considering the speakers, since even at a corresponding price level they are the weakest link by a large margin. But that wasn't your question...

paultee

My speakers are the new Dynaudio Evoke 30 front, Evoke 25C centre and Evoke 10's rear, they really are superb and to me a preferable sound to the Dali Epicon 6 and 3's I had. The B&O 20's were not fave!

Rambles

Distinguished Member
I have an Arcam AVR550 that I use for both AV and 2 channel music.

I found the music to be a bit 'screechy' using the onboard DAC, which is the Cirrus CS42528, the same as the 850.

I tried the Roksan K3 DAC, mainly due to the huge discount - £1300 down to £400. What does a £1300 DAC sound like, I wondered. The answer is - very good! It is much warmer, smoother, groovier than using the DAC on the Arcam. I am very happy with it.

themovierooms

I use an Arcam AV 850 and stream music using an Auralic Aries G1 streamer through a Tellurium digital coax. I keep reading how good the Chord Qutest DAC is and am considering buying one, BUT, how much improvement will I hear? Your thoughts please, does anyone else have this combination?
The Chord DAC's are excellent, as someone said give one a go, you wont be disappointed. You've got a good system so should hear the benefits.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom