1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam av8 with bang olufsen active speakers

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by brendank, Aug 17, 2004.

Tags:
  1. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi guys

im considering purchasing the AV8 to use with my bang olufsen active speakers for home theatre set up, however a potential problem with the set up has been flagged in my research and i am hoping you guys can help me overcome this as i do not fancy having to go back to the drawing board and have start researching options again

i had denon 3802 amp previously and I purchased RCA/Phono cables and hooked up the pre-amp to my B&O speakers(which being active has built-in amps). The only problem was now that there was descrete channels, the front L/R and rear L/R speakers would shutoff with a loud click whenever the audio feed was low volume. This almost never happened with music, but with movies sometime the left sometimes the right and sometimes both speakers would "click" off. Then when sound returns or increases then individual speakers would turn back on. This drove me nuts..and together with the fact that i didnt need amplifiers, that changing the volume on a dvd or switching channels sometimes involved 3 remotes i sold the denon and have now spent at least 8 months without home theatre.

what i didnt know then is that many pre-amp units have a trigger that provides voltage when the unit is on. They use these to "sync" the power on/standby functions of the seperate amplifiers that they are hooked up to.do you know what trigger volt is on the AV8? as the bang olufsen speakers operate on 5 volt trigger i essentially i need to "sync" the AV8 with the amp in the B&O speakers so that the speakers will turnon/off with my pre-amp and not during film any advise or assistance you can provide would be most appreciated.

can someone confirm that this advise recieved is correct and if so what i need to do to make the av8 work with my bang olufsen speakers

i know i will need some sort of custom cable made but what type and how i connect it is the question.

once again any advise or suggestion s most appreciated :clap:

2. WillyP

WillyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Brendan,

Can you adjust the sensitivity of your B&O speakers? I have had the same problem with my subwoofer and the solution was very simple: turn down the sensitivy of the speaker and adjust the settings of your pre-amp accordingly. Now the speaker will always have a nice signal to play with and it won't turn off anymore at low volumes.

3. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi wily

i dont think the bang olufsen speakers have this facility

im thinking i will need to get a customised cable made that will bring the trigger volt on the av8 down to the 5 volt trigger on the bang olufsen speakers.

obviously i would rather know that this can be done now before commiting myself to purchase of av8

brendan

4. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The AV8 has a trigger output. (in fact it has two one for main zone and one for Zone2) The trigger ouptus are on a stereo mini jack. (the pin out and description of operation is in the manual) The output voltage is 12V and it is limited to about 30mA Current. To use this you will need either a resistive potential dividor or a zener diode and resistor to reduce the voltage to 5V (or probably 4.6V if you use a Zenner Diode). The input of your speakers may already have a zenner diode in it to protect it from over voltage. If this is the case you can connect it directly, however be sure to check first because if it hasn't 12V is enough to blow the internal circuits.

Regards,
    Andrew

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    brendank are you in the uk?
    contact your local dealer B&O or ARcam, to eliminate the click you need an adapter (is available) which will switch the speakers.
    Which speakers are you using?

6. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi all

@ andy thanks for the reply, i cant say i understand it 100% but it confirms my initial suspicions

is this fitted into circuit board on the av8

@hornydragon
    im based in ireland and i am afraid my dealer is not that good or upto date with any what he would call non bang olufsen matters :confused: i know you figure?? i suppose as he is the only franchisee in ireland with 3 shops he figures he doesnt have to bother!!hence my post here. what is this adapter do you have product name number or can you point me in the right direction as to where i can buy it. im using bl8000s as fronts,bl6000s as rears and bl4000s as centre with bl2 sub. eventually i will add another set of bl4000s as rear centres.

thanks guys :clap:

7. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi again guys

still trying to sort this out

@ andy

i think that the zener diode network you proposed would do but isn't a very elegant solution.

In the absense of a solution from bang olufsen some other solutions have been suggested, but the easiest would probably be a voltage regulator to reduce the voltage to 5V on the Arcams output trigger. to do this i need to get hold of the pinout of the Arcam trigger socket. does anybody have this.

if anybody has any other suggestions please let me know

brendan

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    There is a third party box that may help, i am waiting for a mate to give me the details, might be just what you are looking for!

9. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    @ hornydragon

thanks for that can you keep me posted

does anybody have access to the pinout diagrams for the trigger switch on the av8?

thanks

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    sorry for the delay mate....will see what i can do....

11. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks HD

Wheels are in motion already :thumbsup:

brendan

12. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    does anyone know if the arcam AV8 can out put pcm digital for the fronts and analogue for the rest?

:)

13. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I assume you mean can it put out linear PCM for Left and right for a Dolby Digital / DTS input whilst decoding the signal to the analogue outputs for all the other channels. I have reviewed the architecture of the AV8 and as I suspected this would require a seperate SPDIF encoder to come after the DD decoder, the AV8 does not have this so it cannot generate a SPDIF signal from the decoded DD. Also it would either have to create a down mix or ouput all of the channels as the Dolby specification very clearly bans putting out the L/R parts of a 5.1 signal without all of the other channels.

Bottom Line, Sorry no the AV8 cannot do this.

Regards,
    Andrew

14. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks andy :thumbsup:

i have specific query regarding the digital in feature, i posted in different thread but no response

I have B&O Beolab 5s which have a digital connection obviously i would like the opportunity to stay digital at least for my fronts. Can you tell me if the digital output on the AV8 uses S/PDIF or more specifically the IEC 60958 protocol which would be necessary to enable me to use the beolab 5s via digital. :)

thanks

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    brendan i think i may have found a solution mate its a tad complex but as the LAB 5 have there own decoder with digital in-out you may be able to run them like this
    DVD1>LAB5>LAB5>AV8 allll on coax, let the lab5 decode the front channels internally and the AV8 decode the surrounds, centre etc on dummy Powerlink cables.

This will allow you to use the LAb5 in stereo connected digitally to the DVD1, for 5.1 from Sky+ etc you will need to connect them with Dummy PL cables as well but need to be fully wired dummies (if that makes any sense at all)

Not sure if this will work but give it a try......(may not work with DTS but try stereo and DD from DVD1

16. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers HD :thumbsup:

Much appreciated finally i might be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel

I dont have DVD1 by the way(all style no substance theory :D not 100% signed up to B&O) i got my DENON 2800 MK11 chipped for beo 4 control.

I presume the rears etc will be connected via line out with the dummy powerlinks installed also.

do the fronts also need dummy powerlinks

I wonder will this set up with fronts and rears give me volume control via the beo 4 remote :)

Just to clarify for those looking in powerlink is a properiatary bang olufsen speaker cable connection 8 pin DIN actually

17. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The AV8 uses the standard SPDIF format which is 60958. However it does not translate DD signals to Linear PCM so the Beolab will need to be able to decode a Dolby digital (DD) or DTS signal if you want to use it to run just the front left and right speakers. The signal that is input to the AV8 is passed to its digital output in exactly the same form as it comes in. I. if it is DD on the input then it is DD on the ouput.

Regards,
    Andrew