1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AV8 with an iScan pro

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Edgeyboy, Oct 23, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Hi John D and Arcam,

If one connected the output of an iscan to an AV8 on 3 component, could the sync(s) be routed through the AV8 or seperately to a projector ? Would the video switching still work ?

So, DV27 prog scan component output into AV8 on video 1, iscan component output into AV8 on video 2. Sync from iscan either bypassing AV8 altogether or using the seperate video sync circuits if these are component compatible.

Would this work ?

Regards

Tom.

2. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I've just spotted the new iscan Ultra which seems to be able to output 3 cable component with integral sync, a la prog scan dvd, so presumably, you could connect this throught the AV8 in exactly the same way as a DV27 and enjoy video switching and linked audio ?

3. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But component has integral sync (it's on the Y). The iScan Pro can output this.

Charles.

4. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, and the AV8 can switch it... I have seen the AV8 switch 1080i HDTV without any degradation...

5. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    The reason I first asked the question was that when I had an iscan a year or two ago, I had a VGA to 5 bnc cable into my CRT projector.

I wasn't aware that you could go VGA - 3 BNC / phono but it seems you can. Can anyone, with experience, confirm this. Presumably the standard 4 bnc lead from maplin etc is okay, you just don't use the sync.

Regards

Tom.

6. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Component is not the same as RGBHV. They use a different color space. Also, RGBHV uses 5 cables instead of one. If your projector only has RGBHV, RGBS or RGsB inputs, you could use a component --> RGBHV transcoder, for example the one from Key Digital:

http://www.keydigital.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=KD-CTCA2

You could then let the AV8 switch all component sources and lead its component output through the transcoder.

7. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

I am not completely clear about the question here but I will tell you what the AV8 can switch and what it can't. If you use other products external to the AV8 to convert the signal I am sure you can configure it to do what you want and it appears that the people here can advise you on the required converters.

The AV8 can switch 3 wire component YUV signals with the sync on the Y signal. It can switch 4 wire RGB composite sync signals where the syncs are on a sperate cable but still at standard 1v peak video levels terminated into 75R. (this is the standard used on SCART connectors). It can also switch 3 wire RGB with the sync on the Green signal.

It cannot switch 5 wire RGBHV as there are not enough paths through the unit and the HV signals are normally at TTL levels i.e 0 and 5v rather than video levels. If you have a 5 wire source you will need to convert it to another format to use the switching on the AV8.

The video paths are suitable for upto 1080P video, the parts used have a 300MHz bandwidth. The AV8 will put OSD information onto all of these formats using our high speed pixel switching technique which avoids signal degridation even when overlaying the OSD text. The AV8 will detect if greater than standard rate video is being used and if it is it will display the menus full page (with a black background) forcing the display to resync to the lower video rate to disply the menu. Once the menu is turned off the display will instantly revert to the higher rate video. (This requires a multi sync display which most plasmas and projectors now are)

I hope that helps. If not then please let me know what else you would like to know.

Regards,
    Andrew Dutton (Team leader AV8)

8. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    So, where can I buy a VGA to 3 component cable to go from the iscan to the AV8?

Or, can I use a maplin VGA to 5 BNC cable, not use the 2 syncs, and get some BNC - Phone adaptors to go into the AV8 for the other 3 cables.

Thanks

Tom.

9. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Routing RGBHV to the AV8 won't work, as said before!! You can have the iScan Pro output component instead of RGB(HV), I'm sure. Look in your manual.

10. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Garmtz

I'm not routing RGB! I'm routing component !

The iscan outputs either.

Regards.

Tom.

11. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

I think I have found the source of the confusion. I found an old I Scan lying arround in the lab and found the manual. It can be configured for RGBHV or component Y Pr Pb and when in Y Pr Pb mode it uses the Red output for Pr the Green ouput for Y and the Blue output for Pb. The H and V sysnc outputs are not used in this mode as the sync is on the Y signal.

So you are correct you can use any VGA to 5 wire cable and simply only use the R G and B cables with BNC to phono adaptors on it. You will not need any format conversion so long as your display and the AV8 are set up for component inputs.

I hope this clarifys it.

Regards,
    Andrew Dutton. (AV8 team leader)

12. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    O.k. I understand now... :rolleyes: The IScan only has DB15 VGA out, no component on RCA. Andy is right.