1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AV8 - Widescreen RGB switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kryten, Jun 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Has anyone setup the AV8 for RGB switching?

The manual shows output pins for 4:3 and 16:9 switching use (Page 11 on the ring of the I/RGB trigger output) - I just can't see any INPUT for these switching signals (ie from the output of my Sky+ or DVD player's RGB scart) and I've no idea how it makes the decision!

Currently the TV auto switches the aspect for 4:3/16:9 signals from both Sky+ and DVD when they are directly connected via SCART cables - would I loose this if I routed the signals through the AV8? I'm assuming its done using Pin 8 of the Scart, though I have had it work from R2 DVDs when connected via S-Video using line 23 switching (which I guess may still work if using RGB).

Also does anyone know anything about software upgrades - are they only available if I go back to my dealer with a specific problem or do Arcam notify registered users when new software versions become available?

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

The AV8 SCART signal leads were mostly put on for input selection so that the AV8 can automatically change a SCART TV from RF to composite or S- video or RGB depending upon the input signal. As the signal that does this is also used to signal wide screen information we made it possible to change it manualy from the menu on the AV8. In almost all systems this is not required as the input signal will have the screen aspect ratio information embedded in the video information and your TV will automatically react to this. This embedded information will pass through the AV8 completely unchanged so there is no need to worry about that.

If you are only going to use one type of video source or don't mind manually switching between sources on your TV then there is no need to connect the signalling at all. The aspect ratio information embeded in the video signal should be used by your TV and correctly set the aspect ratio without the SCART signalling connected.

I have an AV8 wired up using the signalling at home with a SKY + box and it all works seemlessly. Just leave the AV8 set to 4:3 and the embedded signal will do all the switching. (This assumes that your TV has the embeded video aspect ratio detection in it but most do these days and if it works for S-Video it must be present)

The current AV8 software version is Version 3. Your dealer should be able to upgrade the unit for you if you have older software.

Hope this helps,
    Regards,
    Andrew

PS if you want some cables QED have the specification for the SCART to AV8 (this is a standard lead)and AV8 to SCART with control leads (this is a special).

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,
    Sorry two questions, one re part of your response and the other not!

1) How do you tell what version of the software you have and how will you know when a new version is out?
    2) Why doesn't the AV8 come with a 12v trigger lead?

Regards
    John

4. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy, can I add a third?!

What's the status of DTS 96/24 - is it planned that you will add it?

p.s., It's really great that you take the time to answer questions here

5. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Andy. I've now got the AV8 at home on demo but don't have any RGB leads as yet.

I did have a very annoying issue with the video switching. I connected both S-Video and Composite from my Pioneer DV757AI to the AV8 and then onto the TV (with cables I've been using for ages with my old A1) but it refused to display anything - I even lost the on screen display!

It was as if the AV8 was confused about the video input as sometimes you could just see the display for a split second and then it would vanish (no output from the av8).

I connected everything directly to the pioneer and it was fine and eventually figured out that it ONLY worked when routed through the AV8 IF the s-video was disconnected - anytime s-video was connected from the dvd player to the AV8 the AV8 wouldn't output anything!!

The software version is quite old (I think) v2.4 and I was wondering if upgrading it (I've got the kit to do it) might sort things out.

I've just tried calling but there's no-one about...

6. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi,

Your FMJ dealer just handed it over to you to take away ?

Hmmm?

7. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'd have thought it was fairly normal for a dealer to supply a home demo, especially given the price of the AV8/P7 combo!! I've already compared it to an AV32R in the shop, just wanted to confirm the decision over a longer period before making the purchase - is it that unusual?

That said, I've been using them for many years and have replaced the entire system over the past two months, so I guess I'm currently their favourite client :)

Spoke to Arcam earlier and we now have the latest firmware so we'll see if that sorts the switching issue out.

8. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi

I think your missing the point, i would have expected your dealer
    to have installed and callibrated the AV8 for you, at this level.

I am in favour of home demonstrations, as i am sure a couple of the members of this forum will agree.

I hope you enjoy the AV8 as much as we do.

9. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Craig,

From your vantage point seeing customers making decisions on what to buy, I'm curious to know what kit people are choosing in the price range around the AV8/P7?

What's really winning the day at the moment when it comes to the final buying decision?

10. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi,

I would say the Arcam AV8/P7 are probably the pick of the bunch,

feedback from other stores i talk to on a regular basis rate the TAG and Lexicon processors highly but they are using other brands of amplification.

THX use an Arcam AV8 in one of there rooms with a Snell THX Ultra2 speaker system, at the time they were using an Integra Research RDA7 power amplifier.

Very good indeed!