1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AV8 to get iLink?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stereo Steve, Nov 18, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've put off the decision to go pre-pro for a while as I'm waiting for the whole multi channel/ digital link thing to settle down a bit. I was going for an AV8 but was put off by the fact that I would have to buy a universal DVD to listen to DVD-A and SACD. I have yet to hear a universal player that does both well. In the end I picked up a Rotel 1055 and a Pio 656 secondhand to tide me over.

The other day I got to hear the AV8 with the DV27 again and remembered why I had decided on it. But, the connection problem remains.

So, will the AV8 get an iLink so I can buy a DV27 for DVD/DVD-A and CD (via the 5.1's) and get a Sony SACD player with iLink?

Any insights? I have money in the bank waiting to be spent.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    It should have time to earn plenty of interest! Silicon isn't due for a year yet, then it needs to be implemented. My money is on 2005 before we start seeing any numbers of these products. Will Tag / Arcam get upgrades. My money is on No. If you look at the architecture it ain't going to be easy and this is where the processors with motherboards will have an advantage (possibly the ONLY area where they do).

Performance gains (if any) will be minimal not night and day.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think the problem at the mo is the lack of a great universal player, although I have yet to hear the Lex.

I read in this month's Hifi Choice that the iLink makes a huge difference between the AX5 and 757. Now, if that's so, then surely it just says that the AX5 has better DACs than the 757?

A can't see how an iLink can sound better than a superb player through a good analogue bypass. I guess that player has not turned up yet.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    a some point it has to converted to analogue, does it really matter where it gets done?

yes there are pros and cons for both but ultimately it is down to how well these things are implemented and the last digital interface we had for audio was crap. It has taken them almost 20 years to get it sounding decent and still the best players are single box or don't use SPDIF at all :(