1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AV8 Sub Problem

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by warrj, Aug 8, 2004.

Tags:
  1. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm using an Arcam AV8 with a Velodyne SPL800 subwoofer. I'm using the line-level sub output on the AV8 to connect to the line-level input on the sub. I'm experiencing two issues:

1. I never get anything sent to the sub when using the DACs in the AV8 in any kind of pro-logic mode (e.g. PL II Music, Movies etc).

2. Some DVDs produce no 5.1 output whatsoever (e.g. R1 Shrek, R2 School of Rock, Starsky and Hutch. Others do (e.g. R1 Blade 2).

I've had the AV8 for around eighteen months and was previously using a Sonus Faber Gravis. This was connected using both low and high level inputs and seemed to work fine. This may have been becuase the AV8 was sending the .1 stuff to the front channels and hence it was being picked up by the sub's high-level input. The new sub has no high-level input so this is no longer an option.

Does anyone have any ideas? Would a firmware update help? How do I know which is the current version and how can I find out which version I'm currently running?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jules.

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jules,
    Can't answer your issue, maybe Andy Dutton can but if not give Arcam tech support a call

As to which version of software you are using, you can find out by doing the following ;

simultaneously press DVD, CD, and OK

hth
    John

3. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I am having the same problem as Jules with my AVR300. There are some DVDs, as well as some cable TV shows (non-Dobly 5.1) in which there is nothing coming out of the sub.

4. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've fixed my issue! The problem was that my speakers were set to large. When set to small the sub suddenly came alive.

Jim - might be worth your while checking this setting.

Thanks for the replies anyway guys,

Jules.

5. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jules! That fixed the problem. Because my Quads are pretty full range, except for the lowest octave, it would be nice to have them set to large and still have sub sound. Does anyone know if the any of the Aracam firmware upgrades fix this?

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    It think you will find that as you set the speakers to large the only signal going to the sub would be the .1 lfe channel.. and as you can see some movies do not employ much of one at all!

There was I think something a bit odd in how the sub management worked on the arcam av300 whiich was highlighted in the AVtech section of one of the mags...where they did the av amp shootout! (Minds gone blank)

Matt