1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam av8 second zone

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andyb505, Oct 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. andyb505

andyb505

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone any experience of using the "second zone" feature of the Arcam AV8? I am thinking of using it to provide sound and vision in the kitchen from the a/v setup in our TV room.

Any comments on how easy it is to set up and use, thoughts about cables etc would be appreciated.

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Andy,

Zone 2 on the AV8 is not difficult to set up. You will need low loss coaxial 75 Ohm cable for the video and a good quality screened audio cable for left and right.

Remeber that for every source you want to use in zone 2 you MUST have the analogue stereo input connected and the composite video input connected. The AV8 does not convert any of the inputs so you need the analogue stereo available and the composite available even if you have the digital audio and component (or s-video) video connected for the main zone.

To be able to control Z2 from your remote location you will need a IR reciever, we usually recomend the Xantech ones. The part No. is in the AV8 manual I can't remeber it at the moment. The AV8 has a built in 12v supply for the IR reciever so all you need to do is buy the one with a stereo jack plug on it and plug it in. (if you cant get the one with the plug ready fitted or you need a longer cable the wiring information is in the manual).

The AV8 has an independant on screen display for zone 2 so it will give you feed back of what the volume is and what source you are using etc. There are some options in the main setup for Z2 you can lock out some sources if you wish (normally you would only use this for a kids bedroom, so probably not important to you) and set up max volume and max on volume settings also you can choose how the unit responds to standby from the different zones.

I hope this is of some help,
    Regards,
    Andrew

3. andyb505

andyb505

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andrew,

Thanks for the advice.

4. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I use Zone 2 for the kitchen and upstairs and its excellent. Its completely independant and as long as you have composite video/analogue audio connected for all sources its easy to listen/watch a different source to the main zone - great for when the kids are playing on the playstation!

I have a Wavecom Videosender that transmits the video to an lcd display in the kitchen (plus the audio/video upstairs) - this also sends back the IR signals from the kitchen which i then fire at a Xantech receiver as Andy said (bought from letsautomate.com) to get the signals back into the AV8.

This setup works very well and is exremely easy to use.

Only issue I have is that I use 2 channels of the P7 for the kitchen audio and haven't figured out a way of getting the AV8 to turn on the P7 when only Zone 2 is on.

5. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

If you want the P7 to come on when either zone 1 or zone 2 come out of standby you can "wire OR" the zone 1 and zone 2 trigger outputs. What this means is you can connect the two outputs together then if either of them goes high the P7 will turn on. The internal circuitry is full protected to allow you to do this.

Hope this helps.
    Andrew

6. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Andrew - that's exactly the answer I was looking for. I've been meaning to call Arcam support for a couple of weeks with that one!

7. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just to update, finally got round to doing this at the weekend and it works perfectly!