Arcam AV8 question: confused about setting levels in blu ray player?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Pollywoggle, Jan 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I have an Arcam AV8 processor I love and have acquired a blu ray player with analogue out which will connect to the arcam using it's multichannel inputs.
    As the decoding is being done in the player not the Arcam, I cant remember how it works with setting speaker size, distance etc in the bluray player, if it takes priority over the Arcam settings etc.?
    Anyone any ideas? :)

2. Kilian

Kilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yes set speaker size, distance and cross-over in the player. Any speaker that can't go down to 20Hz is SMALL.

Cross-over generally set to 80Hz unless you want it differently.

Receiver needs to boost sub out by +15dB if you use bass management (any speaker set to SMALL), +10dB if you don't use BM. If receiver only can do +10dB and you need +15dB then lower speaker levels in the player by 5dB to make it up.

Speaker levels need to be checked with speaker tones or test disc.

HTH

3. PenguinHiFi

PenguinHiFi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi Killian,

Are you sure about your statement : "Any speaker that con't go down to 20Hz is SMALL".
    Aren't there only really few speakers capable of reproducing a real 20Hz ?

Hi PollyWoggle,

The AV8/AV9 is a killer pre/pro to my ears. Even though I have not heard the AV888 (I'd like to hear it but really won't be able to afford it and I find it the most ugly piece of Hi-Fi I've ever seen !). SO nice choice you made :) Stick to it...

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

4. Kilian

Kilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi PenguinHiFi,

Yes indeed and most speakers start to roll off well above 20Hz, so it's good idea in general to set them as small and let the sub handle it. There is also a school of thinking that it'd be better if the lower frequencies come from only one or two sources in a room.

Now I know some prefer their main towers to do as much as possible and in that case the crossover can be set lower if the player has such options.