1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AV8 querry

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by life sucks, Jun 28, 2002.

Tags:
  1. life sucks

life sucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally decided to go for high end home cinema and I am currently after the processor. So please excuse this long posting, but I would like to know something before I spend my last cent on it.

As it always is, I can not afford what I found to be the best (life sucks ever again) , Chord's new processor (At least I made it to buy their five channel amp, but that demolished my funds completely), so I have to go another way.
    Fortunately I also do not have to fully compromise with Myryad or Rotel , and since Lexicon, Theta and Meridian are not my thing, the choice came down to TAG and Arcam. I am not buying processor because of Logic 7 or Trifield, but because of normal home cinema DD+DTS, and most important it has to be really good pre-amp to keep my high quality stereo setup!
    Since TAG is an open book it was easy to see pro and contra. Arcam AV8 is still bit foggy.

Here are few questions, hope people from Arcam reading this forum will answer this.
    1. Tag adverts their bypass as fully removed from signal path with relays, Chord does even better (two separated things). What is the case on AV8's 7.1 bypass and stereo bypass, the same, semiconductor switching or something third?
    2. TAG always offered even very complicated hardware upgrades, any plans for AV8?
    3. Video switching is must-be, but are any video conversions planned (between RGB, Component, SVideo etc?)
    4. Any plans to implement DVI CE or (HDMI as called nowdays) as later upgrade?
    5. How do the AV8 DA convertors compare to those in FMJ DVD Player and are any Jitter killers there (TAG has SyncLink)

I hope this was not too much but I need to make decission soon. Of course, I will have to do audition too, but I need to know backgrounds first.

Regards and thanks
    Pedro

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Pedro -

I will try to answer these points today. I'll double check with the design team leader next week to make sure I've got these absolutely right.

1. Stereo bypass - not a bypass at all - just a really very good stereo preamp, so the signal stays on the analogue board all the time. This is the best possible way to do it There are no A/D and D/A conversions involved (unless you choose to do them, e.g. to invoke Dolby Pro Logic II). When in pure anaogue mode we shut down as much of the digital stuff as possible as well.

8 channel analogue is handled similarly, but through all 8 electronic volume controls - these are the new Burr Brown ones BTW - by far the best on the market. They are switched in via low loss semiconductor switches IIRC - in any case it is done properly in engineering terms. Don't read too much into some other manufacturers' marketing stuff here - they are sometimes trying to make virtue out of necessity given the architecture they started with (in my humble opinion, of course!).

2. The AV8 is built in a modular fashion - digital board, video board, analogue board, display board and power supply - so upgrades via board exchange (and maybe back panel exchange) are certainly possible in principle. No detailed plans yet as we'll need to see what the market actually wants.

3. No video conversions. Having said that the pass throughs are near broadcast quality with enough bandwidth for HDTV and we mix in the on screen display (OSD) with broadcast quality pixel switches in all interlaced video modes - composite, s-video, YUV and RGB - far better than any of the competition that I know of. Doing it this way means, for example, that you can pop up a volume bar at any time when using interlaced video without degrading the rest of the picture at all. For using an OSD with progressive video there is no easy solution available to us (or anyone else AFAIK) so we generate a full screen interlaced OSD which "forces" most modern displays temporarily to interlaced when you need to display processor information. It works pretty well in practice on the dispalys we've been using.

4. We are well aware of HDMI. It will be a while before this is adopted in any big way in my opinion, when it does I expect us to be ready, bearing in mind paragraph 2 above.

5. The D/A converters are Wolfson 24 bit/192 kHz multi bit sigma delta types, the same as in the DV27. There is a very high quality crystal controlled PLL (phase locked loop) clock recovery circuit built in to the system to minimise jitter. It works extremely well and on stereo trials we judged the unit to be similar in audio quality to passing the output from our top of the line CD23 CD player through the analogue preamp. We're pretty pleased about that!

Hope this helps. If you send me your address I'll snail mail you a nice new colour brochure on the AV8/P7.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    John,

I wouldn,t mind one of those brochures if possible - also release date and local stockists. I've has my DV27 for 2 months and I'm mighty impressed. I'll PM you my address.

AndyS

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
  5. life sucks

life sucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot
    I will test both units as soon as AV8 is out and then decide
    Pedro

6. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pedro,
    please let me add something here, especially because it is about three products I am too very interested about .

As first, Mr.Dawson has probably right when he means that TAG is "trying to make virtue out of necessity given the architecture they started with".
    Talking about TAG, I do not hide it - I am a huge fan of TAG, having their DVD and Processor, but they are doing the same as everyone else, advertising their technology wherever and whenever (sounds almost like Shakira) they can. Mr Dawson does it sometimes here too, by answering one or the other question not directly connected to Arcam.

About CD quality, I like TAG DVD32R+AV32R very much. It is definitely different than Arcam, but it is all about personal preferences only. TAG is more simmilar to that how Accuphase (or Marantz in lower cost category) sound, than to Arcam's style. Simply the question of taste. You'll have to test them.

And about Chord, I even admire their products more than TAG, but to claim they have two separated clean paths (in one processor for the same input, I guess) for the same signal is nonsense, do not know where you read that. It is not possible without at least one switch!
    From puristic point of view (no one says it is audible), no processor in the world can beat analog pre-amp, fullstop!

Fazit:
    You should simply believe your ears only, so please go and test it. In an pre-amp mode there will probably be no audible differences anyway. So do not read too much, listen! And buy the concept you like the most.

To spoil this posting here's my advice:
    if no money for cord you desire too much go for TAG. This will bring you many hours of fun, upgrading, discussing in their forum etc.

Cheers
    Plump

7. life sucks

life sucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Plump.
    I am purist indeed, and for me knowing something is almost as important as to be able to hear it. It is deep inside the soul. For an example, if I already payed so much for that damn Transrotor I do not want its signal get digitized. Fullstop as you said! Even if I'm never going to hear any difference between its signal when digitized and non-digitized.
    I am just another human being with all the faults within. And as you just said, let us have fun in that small fragments of time apart from work or from another type of fun with the children. Life sucks most of the time, but not all the time!

Thanks for the advice, will be considered seriously.
    Pedro