1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

arcam av8/p7 v Denon AV1SE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by zamwessell, Jan 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Having recently fallen in love with the Arcam FMJ DV27 dvd player when i was about to buy a Denon 3800.....can anyone please justify a reason for me to trade in my Denon AV1SE for the Arcam AV8/P7 ? Is it really worth the extra money? Thanks.

2. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    well, i'm trying to sell my a1se to upgrade as well. in short to your question, yes and its definately worth every penny:D

3. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

i intend to asap! the AV8/P7 combo, is clearly outstanding... matched with the DV27....OUTSTANDING!

Kev :)

4. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Thanks for the reassurance..i better start saving.I don't suppose you all know of some floorstanders and rear surround speakers ( preferably in a beech type wood effect) that will fit in nicely with the dv27 and av/p8?

5. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    How much do you guys want for your A1SEs?

Either of you upgraded to A1SR spec?

Cheers
    Rob.

6. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Let me think on that.

I had not seriously thought about selling my AV1SE until my local dealer offered to part-ex it for the AV8/P7 today......he seems to be using some kind of jedi mind trick on me.

7. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    i have not upgraded my AV1SE to AV1SR spec.

8. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i too have not upgraded my 1se to sr spec.

9. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    these damn jedi's in dealers are getting anoying... i remember the days when trusty sales skills were employed to extract your hard earned cash.... these days, they resort to the ways of the force..... either that, or they dem an av8/p7 and take your plastic... quite an amazing thing really. If only i could get them to use it on the mrs :) so you can have that really ugly, but amazing sub you want :p

10. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Adzman agrees with the positive comments on the Arcam combination. It really is a very nice slice of electronics.
    The Denon AVCA-1SE is a v.good integrated, but the Arcam would be sitting underneath my TV/Plasma/Screen if i were in a similar position to the thread starter.

Adzman.

11. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    zamwessell

B&W's are always a good match for arcam imho ... you can get the Cm series in beech and the CDM in cherrywood ... CDM's & the AV8/P7 have been commented on for being too revealing of poor source material ... guess you better put another £400 aside or the dvd-a upgrade for the Dv27 as well then ;-)

Jon

12. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    B&W and Arcam do go well together yes ... but the CM series are poor for the price. They only have one advantage over the 600 series (real wood finish) and several disadvantages (sound quality!!).

Save your money and get the mid-sized or larger 600 series, or find that little more for the CDM range - or the Natutilus 800 :)) From experience generally ... the higher end equipment you have the the more it reveals problems in poor source material - if you buy high end equipment ... there's no point trying to run bad recordings through them.

Oh ... and Jon ... what makes you think that DVD-A will provide good source material - it's just as likely to be badly recorded especially as most DVD-As I've seen so far have been re-releases of older stuff.

Victoria

13. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    I was thinking (hoping) that a little more time would have been spent on the remastering for DVD-A than on some of the original AAD or ADD conversions of albums (tapes) to CD ... some of which *are* appalling ... ;-)

or ... that the sound engineers and producers are creating interesting multi-channel mixes for new album's ...

More than happy with my 600's ... will be saving the pennies for the CDM's when I move house again :)

14. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Some of the multi-channel mixes are appalling from what I've heard - just a case of the intrument channels being separated arround the 5 speakers ... a bit like quad stuff from the 70s (it was the70s wasn't it ... I'm too young to remember but have heard some quad stuff from before).

I'm sticking with my 600's too (602s2 front, 601s2 rear, LCR60s3 centre) though may investigate a pair of 603s2 or s3 for the fronts it the opportunity arrises. Beyond that I need to win the Lottery :)

Victoria

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I think the AV8/P7 combination is excellent value for money.

It might be worth your while checking out some other processors in a similar price bracket - Tag McLaren is a little cheaper if you only need 5 channels rather than 7 or you don't need a 5.1 analogue bypass, Meridian 568.2 at £3825 is pricier and with fewer features, but also very fine in its own way. All 3 products sound different, but all sound very good.

At £2500 for 7 channels the P7 is unmatched at the price, IMO. You'd have to go up to a Bryston 9B or Meridian 558 to do any better.

If you've got the money then some B&W Nautilus speakers might be a good match for the Arcam kit. I'd recommend a pair of 803s (£3500) for the left and right front, and an HTM1 (£1500) for a centre. I wouldn't go any cheaper than this unless you're planning to upgrade soon, otherwise it will be the speakers that are the limiting factor on the sound quality. If you're going to end up using something like B&W CDM NT speakers then front-end electronics costing half the price will sound very nearly as good.