1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AV8 owners

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sticker, Mar 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to upgrade my current set up and have narrowed the choice of processor down to either the Arcam AV8 or the Tag AV32R.....................................that was until Tag annouced the dual processor upgrade:confused:

I've demo'ed the Arcam and the Tag and to be honest can't tell much of a difference between the two but I slightly preferred the Arcam and was about to go that route until the Tag annoucement. This only confused me as wether going the Arcam route is the right option, it is a lot of money and Tag have a good history of upgrades that makes your investment more future proofed.

I've asked the upgrade question before and John Dawson kindly replied with his views on the subject, but what I would like to know is wether AV8 owners went through the same doubts/process as me, especally in relation to the Tag.

Regards
    John

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    The dual-processor Tag is a lot more expensive than the AV8. If you're thinking about spending that much money then there are others that you should be considering: Meridian 568.2 and Bryston SP1.7 notably. Lexicon MC-8 is probably still a bit out of reach, but might be worth shopping around for.

The Bryston is really quite a lot better than either the Arcam or the standard Tag, IMO. Bryston vs dual-processor Tag would be tough to call: basic sound quality of the Bryston is likely to be substantially better, also better as an analogue pre-amp, and that 20-year guarantee is hard to resist. But the Tag will easily win out on features - Room correction, especially, but also things like Dolby Headphone capability.

3. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So Nicolas,
    what will you be spending your cash on when you finally have some?:devil:

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice NicB, think the Bryston will be out of the question as I'm moving to Oz and any upgrades will probably be expensive.

Did listen to the Meridian and this will probably open a can of worms but I thought the Tag and Arcam sounded better!!

I'lll try to get a demo on the dual pro Tag, I take it that these are far and few between and discounts will be non exsistant. Price £4k?

5. jeroen999

jeroen999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, here a little experince from a new av8 owner.
    I had some trouble with choosing to ,But I finally choose for the arcam .
    I listened to 3 of them naim/tag/arcam.
    Must say it was a close call.
    I was very in love with the naim,BUT was afraid that they couldn't
    keep up with the technolegy as the processors where a little behind on the processors of the tag and arcam.
    Tag on the other hand prooft themselves on the side of upgrading en updates.
    But for me there where some small things in (for instans_) the of the arcam menu that appealed me.
    As for sound I must atmit that I thought they where both great.
    Maybe you could say that the tag was a little more clean.
    As in a little to save.(not my own words stole them of a good critic)
    For me the Arcam was a good alrounder!
    As I bought the av8 ,I had some problems with it.
    I had a tic over the speakers when switching.

And now it comes why I did not regred I choose the AV8.
    Arcam replaced it for a new one with in a week!!!!!!
    I think this is great service and say a lot about the BRAND arcam .
    They are there for the music but do not forget there is a customer behind it .

Thanks Arcam(MR DAWSON)

I would say,Go for the arcam BUT I'm afraid that some Tag owners also can tell you a great service story about TAG.
    So it is not going to be a simple choice.

One more thing,I love the dv88 and love that the 2 seperates match.I can understand that if you want a matching front that the Tag and theTag dvd is a "little ""bit expensive.

Good luck ,
    kind regards jeroen

6. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136

Phillistine !:D

Adzman