1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AV8 - how upgradeable

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sticker, Feb 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know nothing is infinitely upgradable, but how upgradable is the Arcam AV8, especally with new sound formats seemingly coming out every 18 months? 10.2 etc

Also what area dies it fall down in as far as specs are concerned

Regards
    John

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Sticker -

I will leave others to comment on any specification "weaknesses" in the AV8 not least because it is all useful feedback. For the money I don't believe there are any major ones however and it does quite a few useful things that other, often more expensive, processors do not.

The AV8 is software upgradeable via an RS 232 port. It supports all major decoding algorithms found on DVDs. The horsepower in the two DSPs used is however not quite enough to decode fully DTS 24/96 (though the data is of course decoded at 48 kHz - it is only the supersonic extension that is not supported); to date we don't believe that to be a significant handicap. AFAIK there is no 10.2 or similar audio format planned for commercial DVDs in the foreseeable future and even if it did turn up (a) no-one else can support this either at this time and (b) would you even want such a format domestically?

The AV8 is modular in design internally and in the fullness of time we would expect to upgrade the internal hardware as required by the marketplace. It is our intention to make such changes backwards compatible wherever practicable - at a module level. As you might expect this would be chargeable.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info John, much appreciated.

I just didn't want to make a major purchase like this and justify to the wife (again) why somethings out of date within xx months!!!

Regards
    John