Arcam AV40 AV Processor Review & Comments

maxbrooker

I've been through a similar journey, I've been very content with the MRX 720 and power amps for years but its time to step up. The new Arcam are the logical choice before I make the jump to the MP-40. I see you have the ESLs, I am contemplating to upgrade my 60xt as well to ESL, I am only a little hesitant due to the supposedly very narrow sweet spot but this of topic sorry.
@bandyka happy to chat further on PM if you’d like to know more about the pairing of the MLs with the AV40 and general musings to avoid going off topic.

Krobar

Thanks so in my scenario even the 20 would suffice if I wanted a very similar basic audio perfromance without its internal amps and the DAC in the 10 would produce inferior sound output?

Use of the AVR20 and 30 as a preamp could be voltage limited as mentioned above, probably not but AFAIK no one has tested.

ashenfie

did I read this correct ?
  • No DTS:X Pro
seems absolutely bizarre for a brand new release that doesnt have this capably ? . seems like quite a glaring omission at this price point ?
But it has Oura 3D what else could want.
It seams odd that anyone is discussing SINAD rating that clearly are a wrong measure for AVRs hence no manufacture quote them it’s THD and SN ratings. The basic issue being can really measure anything which has SINAD of over 100 with any degree of accuracy.

Saul Goodman

Distinguished Member
Comparing this to a Lyngdorf MP-40 is frankly ridiculous, as soon as you look at Dirac vs Room Perfect it's game over for the Arcam and that's before you even consider build quality, reliability, customer support, buggy software, future proofing.

How is a MP-40 more future proof than this?

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member

Krobar

It seams odd that anyone is discussing SINAD rating that clearly are a wrong measure for AVRs hence no manufacture quote them it’s THD and SN ratings. The basic issue being can really measure anything which has SINAD of over 100 with any degree of accuracy.

For most people I reckon Auro is more useful than DTS:X Pro (It seems to me most users do not exceed 7.x.4). I would like to see DTS:X Pro as I'm using a 7.2.6 setup but most people in the Arcam (Or Anthem) user threads seem to be using smaller speaker configs.

alebonau

I agree couldn't care less re sinad, all gear is pretty good in that realm these days ... no need to sweat the small stuff !

also very good it has auro3D ...however DTS-X pro is a major deal as I found out... and it could be for more folk i suspect if more folk got to experience :)

alebonau

For most people I reckon Auro is more useful than DTS:X Pro (It seems to me most users do not exceed 7.x.4). I would like to see DTS:X Pro as I'm using a 7.2.6 setup but most people in the Arcam (Or Anthem) user threads seem to be using smaller speaker configs.
in my humble opinion, both auro 3D are important. however in my experience i have found DTS-X pro all the more so.

I totally agree most folk go 7.1.4 and dont perhaps even think of 7.1.6 and quite rightly in the paradigm of thinking that 7.1.6 means adding top middles ... which has very limited application I think. Mainly id suggest in very BIG large room implementations with multiple rows and such. and most folk are not doing that....

however my discovery was with 7.1.6 and with application where it utilises a Top Surround Ts(VOG) and Centre Height (Ch) speakers. and this i beleive has applications for folk doing those 7.1.4 setups because it doesnt need a room or implementation any bigger than folk are doing with their 7.1.4 setups...because the Top Surround Ts(VOG) fits directly in-between the 4 top heights ... directly over main listening position... filling a pretty major gap in the sound field I think...something 7.1.4 and also 7.1.6(with top middles) only tried to fill with a phantom centre... no need for a phantom with a real speaker there instead and it adds well :) same goes with the Ch.. it just lands directly over your centre speaker... and filling here an even more larger hole in the sound field ... where the 7.1.4 speakers are more spaced around the main listening position.. up front theres nothing. the Ch - centre height adds amazing height to the front stage... even lifts it..something ive found to benefit of most things.

the other great reason of going this approach its also of benefit of auro3D which has a basis in DTS-X and also there is imax though appreciate there is very limited support for that.

dts-X pro i have found come into its own with upmixing PCM source of which there is a massive catalog on streaming and also Dts-HDma of which there is even more massive catalog of just about everything that came prior to atmos... and dts-X pro also seems to help atmos upmix to beyond 7.1.4 so have quite broad use i think...making really quite useful !

not to diminish auro3D s role and why i say it is also important... its really useful for music ... that front bias of it... its also something id use for pcm especially 2.0 music or for other pcm source ... if i didnt have dts-X pro... :)

bandyka

Use of the AVR20 and 30 as a preamp could be voltage limited as mentioned above, probably not but AFAIK no one has tested.
Thanks. Any dealers here who could confirm this?

ashenfie

Thanks. Any dealers here who could confirm this?
I think that equates to a loss 1-2db in SPL in most cases barely audible.

bandyka

Yes I would think so too but it really depends on the voltage loss. If it output 2 volts it should be fine but any less could be problematic.

D

Deleted member 39241

Yes I would think so too but it really depends on the voltage loss. If it output 2 volts it should be fine but any less could be problematic.
Also, gain matching with the power amps should be considered. Too little voltage could limit headroom and prevent maximum output from the amps. Plus if mixing power amps and internal amps, level matching could become problematic.

ashenfie

Also, gain matching with the power amps should be considered. Too little voltage could limit headroom and prevent maximum output from the amps. Plus if mixing power amps and internal amps, level matching could become problematic.
Very valid point, you should alway match a pre-amp and power amp. Some power amp's also have a gain control for this very purpose

bandyka

I could test and find out in 60-90min. You could too if you have a very good quality sound card / sound interface and a PC.
I could if I had one yes but that's the point I need to know before I get one ;)

barnitto

That makes ASR look quite amateurish.

exactly, and has happened multiple times but that doesn’t seem to stop people using it as source of reference/information 🤷‍♀️

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BAFTA 2021 awards sees Nomadland as big winner
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom