Arcam Av 8 processor: confused about setting distance and levels in blu ray player?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Pollywoggle, Jan 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    The Arcam forum is quiet so maybe someone here can help?
    I have an Arcam AV8 processor with no hdmi input and have acquired a blu ray player with analogue out which will connect to the arcam using it's multichannel inputs.
    As the decoding is being done in the player not the Arcam, I cant remember how it works with setting speaker size, distance etc in the bluray player, if it takes priority over the Arcam settings etc.?
    The processor will receive the signal via its analogue inputs so do I need to set the speaker levels in the bluray player, I have been previously using digital output but now want some hi def audio?
    Anyone any ideas?
    Polly

2. Magic Beans

Magic Beans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The AV8 works in direct mode, so the speaker levels, distances, Xover points etc need to be configured on the blu ray player. Some consider this to be a drawback, due to the level of control the player might offer. However for me I haven't had any issues at all and am more than happy with the sound.

HTH :)

3. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,505
    Not quite. Although speaker distances and bass management need to be configured in the BD player, the speaker levels should not be set in the bluray player as the AV8's and AV9's speaker levels, being applied in the analogue domain, are always active, including direct analogue multichannel in (see manual).

4. Magic Beans

Magic Beans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I stand corrected :)