Quantcast

Arcam announces the irDAC - Compact High-End 24/192 DAC

hodg100

Distinguished Member
£2,000 performance for £400

The Arcam irDAC replaces Arcam's popular rDAC and is a brand-new design, effectively a stripped down version of the £2000+ D33 SuperDac, promising a substantial jump in performance over its predecessor and a good degree of flexibility.

Arcam claims that following extensive testing against competitors, that this is the best DAC money can buy under £500.

Using audiophile grade components throughout, Arcam have engineered the irDAC to be a simple, "plug and play" device that delivers high audio quality.

The irDAC, so called because it now has infra-red remote control, owes much to the work that was done on the reference D33 SuperDAC and comes packed with cutting edge technology and features.

High-end features like isolation of the digital and analogue stages, ultra-low noise power supplies and a direct coupled signal path are all included.

Arcam is using the Burr Brown 1796 DAC as well as 8 separately regulated power supplies the irDAC claimed to produce a signal that is almost jitter free.

The irDAC is designed to be the heart of a digital system and can be connected to a multiple types of digital sources and connections. This includes asynchronous USB and a direct iPhone input that that takes the digital signal direct from an Apple device to optimise the sound quality.

All of the inputs can be controlled through an IR remote that will also control PCs, MACs and iPod/iPhone/iPad via the HID (Human interface device) control .

irDAC Tech Specs:

• DAC - TI PCM1796
  • Inputs - USB, SPDIF, Optical, iPod
  • Frequency response 10Hz -- 20kHz, ±0.1dB
  • Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise 0.002%
  • Signal-to-noise (A Weighted) 112dB (24-bit)
  • Line output level 2.2Vrms
  • Supported sample rates 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz
  • Bit depth 16-bit, 24-bit
  • Power requirements 7W max
  • Dimensions (wxdxh, mm) 160 x 100 x 40
  • Weight 700g

Attachments

pjr918bmw

I do wonder how it compares - pure performance wise - not usability, multi input, etc etc .. as a USB DAC against the ODAC..

I need another DAC but the ODAC completely changed my perceptions of VFM!!:):)

... they should be paying me...:laugh:

yoskiwoski

I noticed this has Ipod input, will there be any advantage using this with itunes purchases or do you need a higher source?

Top Bottom