Arcam and Rock

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HouseofMu, May 25, 2001.

Tags:
  1. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just a couple of questions for the forum.

Does the Arcam DV88 with the ProgScan upgrade, place it on par with their new DV27 model, or if given the choice would the DV27 be preferable?

If these models are so great, why is it still necesary to use them in conjunction with additional processors such as The Rock?
    Wouldn't that make any hi-grade video processing of the these models redundant, so does buying a much cheaper model in conjunction with TheRock make better value for money?

Just thought I'd ask.

n.

2. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Jenz:

I posted the following questions in another thread but, I guess it got by you.
    Since the DV27 is based on the Si503 chip do you think it'll be possible to 'upgrade' the player (in a near future) so that it outputs PAL progressive signals? (a German site posted some info on Denon's 2800 'upgraded' this way).

How would you compare the DV27 with the Toshiba SD900E it terms of interlaced video and in audio performance?

Thanks,

NS

3. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I see your point, give it better input signal and it'll produce better results, fair enough.
    Good enough for 5ft screen rings alarm bells, surly 5ft is useless if you've gone to the trouble of getting a projector, your 8ft (diagnal w/s I take it?) seems far more worth the effort.
    Just to take the point a little further down the line, I though most of these projectors have some sort of double/quad processors built in too, r these to be disabled once used with TheRock ?
    Does all this additinal processing have some detrimental effect at some point?

Can you tell me, is the rock aimed at CRT projectors, or would it work just as well with say the Sim2 200DM for example?

I've also noticed this PAL Prog. creeping in now, would TheRock enable such output if the player doesn't

n.

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nuno,

I can't comment on the Toshiba, but the Arcam certainly gives a stunning Image and also (as important) gives superb CD Audio reproduction. It's Audio capabilities are the key benefit about the DV88 as well as Prog Scan obviously.

As for the DV27's ability to do Prog PAL I would guess that the Machine can almost certainly be enabled to do it. John Dawson of Arcam is very supportive of the idea and the company is so responsive that I would think reasonably quickly it could be done once a standard is established.

HouseofMu,

Good enough for 5ft screen rings alarm bells, surly 5ft is useless if you've gone to the trouble of getting a projector

Agreed but sometimes this is the best people can achieve given their room size. And remember when talking about size for these we mean width not diagonal.

your 8ft (diagnal w/s I take it?) seems far more worth the effort.

No, I mean width. Diagonal is 10ft on 4:3 image or 9.2ft for 16x9.

Just to take the point a little further down the line, I though most of these projectors have some sort of double/quad processors built in too

They normally have doublers that are average at best in my opinion.

r these to be disabled once used with TheRock ?

Yes they are not used.

Does all this additinal processing have some detrimental effect at some point?

Yes, your wallet feels lighter but your sense of video nirvana feels closer.

Can you tell me, is the rock aimed at CRT projectors, or would it work just as well with say the Sim2 200DM for example?

It will work extremely well with CRT, D-ILA, LCD and DLP Projectors. It's also good with Plasmas although the latter has not been tried by myself. Because it has finetuned options for specific resolutions etc it outputs an improved picture allround. It also takes and scales multiple inputs like S-Video and Composite as well as Component.

I've also noticed this PAL Prog. creeping in now, would TheRock enable such output if the player doesn't.

Yes, If you input PAL Interlaced into The Rock you get PAL Progressive out to the Projector scaled to whatever you want (within reason obviously - 720p, 960p, 1080p, 1200p etc etc).

Regards Neil.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Just to add to this. The screen size of 5ft width that Jenz refers to is actually only with very high spec 7" and larger tubed CRT's.

The full explanation of why this is the case is held in another thread somewhere where I explained how CRT's produce an image. I'll try and find where and re-post here later.

With the higher spec 7" CRT's and 8 and 9 inch units you'd be better off with an external scaler.

CRT's will generally give optimum picture quality on screens of 7ft width and under although they can be used on larger screens if you want. Luckily we don't have any "Video Police" here yet.

Gordon

6. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason you still need a Vid Processor is that the Image from a Prog Scan unit cannot be increased to a suitable size to avoid Scanlines on a large Screen.

Taking the DV27 for example, its Prog Scan Image is very, very good for a screen upto (and this is my opinion based on trying it) 5ft.

After this a Vid Processor is needed to triple or quadruple the lines in order to make the scanlines to small to see from your seating position. In my case an 8ft wide screen.

Now in terms of lower quality Player this is a fair discussion point but remember often the source is equally of benefit to the image. Comparing say my Sony 725 thru the Rock to the Arcam DV27 thru the Rock id like comparing chalk and cheese. The Arcam presents a better resultant image because regardless of the Rock it is a better picture anyway.

Hope this helps.

Please note for completeness I am a Rock Dealer.

Regards Neil.

7. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Jenz,
    Finally got your dealership then ;).
    Need any field testers ;)
    Finished with that 808 yet i think it's about time you upgraded.
    Cheers m8
    Tim :D :D :D

8. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi!

Just a final question to someone that has some experience with the IScan Pro or the DV27: do you think that it's worth to buy the IScan Pro with a good DVD player up to around £800 (suggestions, please) or just buy the Arcam DV27 ?

(Let's assume, for the sake of the arguments, that by the end of the year the Macrovision issues are adressed and the DV27 is 'enabled' to output PAL prgressive signals)

I intend to use it with a LCD/DLP projector (11HT?, PLV60?, HT200DM?).

Thank you for your help,

NS