Arcam and Monitor Audio Gold Reference

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Remboy, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have enjoyed reading these forums for the last 6 months or so and have learned a great deal in that time so have finally decided to join the fray!

I currently have an Arcam DV88+, AVR300 and Monitor Audio Silver series speakers (the previous range 3i, 5i and centre) but now have some cash burning the proverbial so was thinking of a speaker upgrade. I have always been a Monitor Audio fan so the GR series would be an obvious port of call but was wondering whether my AVR300 may be a bit lightweight to drive such expensive (??!) speakers as the GRs. I would be looking to the GR20s for the main speakers to start with.

Has anyone got the GR20s running off an AVR300 in biamped mode? In which case I would really appreciate your views, especially with regards how fussy the are for placement as I have a had a problem with bass "bloom" with previous speakers in my listening room. Thanks very much for any input.

2. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Haven't tried the AVR300 but I use GR20s on an Arcam A85 biamped with p85 with great results. The biamping really does wonders on this speaker.

In my room why is a bit crammed, the GR20s need some air behind them to remove excessive bass which I have an allergy towards. Probably around 30-40 cm at least.

3. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi

I don't have the AVR300 but did use an A85 for a while with my GR20's. I felt they deserved better and upgraded to a pre/power Musical Fidelity 3.2 which made a large improvement in the control, bass extension and stereo image. The GR20's have handled the upgrade to MF308's with ease, simply getting better.

Bi-amping with the AVR300 however will be a different ball game to my A85 and I think you may well be onto a good combo, try and dem them in your own room.

I don't think the GR20's are overly fussy about placement but then I always have spent a long time messing with the setup and position of my speakers, toe in, distance from rear and side walls, spikes to get them level etc. They do like a bit of space around them, say a couple of feet minimum.

HTH

Gus

4. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Seems I may be able to offer you my experiences. I have an AVR300 + GR20s bi amped mode (GR20's in single amp is not woth listening to IMO), and I was thinking about adding a P90.

The dealer I have bought all my stuff from set up a dem with the same kit, leads and CD player and TBH I was disapointed with the P90, I really didn't think it worthwhile.

Tried the same with an A90 + P90 and was equally unimpressed. hmm not getting any further forward....

Then he suggested I listen to Musical Fidelity 3.2 integrated + power amp and that put a grin on my face :thumbsup: The MF combo was a similar price to the A90 + P90 don't forget. The dif between the Arcam and the MF is I suppose is a cleaner, better articulated sound. Having got the speakers in the right place (not easy) you have the whole orchestra laid out before you with each instrument virtually in it's own space and you can sence depth too. The decay of the notes can also be magical.

In the end I blew next years budget and bought the MF 3.2 pre-amp and two power-amps... :blush:

What you do is up to you but I feel the GR20's are more able and perhaps take quite a lot of driving, I don't think the Arcam Diva range can deliver to get the best from this speaker.

5. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the replies.

Icarus - your comments reflect my gut instinct that Arcam Diva may not be sufficient to get the best from the GRs. Looks like I may be better saving the cash for now with new HD plasma required in a year or two's time!!

6. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Icarus ,
    Could you recommend speakers to a90 or a90 +p90
    ?
    Regards
    Mats

7. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi sweden,

Sorry no, I don't have sufficient experience of what makes a speaker work with one amp and not with another all I can do is listen and by a process of elimination decide what I believe to be the best overall sound for my money.

Do you have a local dealer you feel you can trust? Go have a listen with your kit and their speakers and find the one that appears to work well - then borrow the speakers for a while, a weekend at least.