1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam and Bryston ?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Sweden, Sep 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All !

I would like to know if there is someone how knows how Bryston sounds vs Arcam ?

Regards,
    Mats

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    what? amps, processors, pres?

3. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I mean Amps i suppose.
    And the answer is ???????

I ask this because PMC suggest Van Damme speakercables to me, but i guess they have Bryston.
    And i have a Arcam PMC set up, so thats why i ask.

4. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I know what I think. But as we dont have the same ears then its a bit of a pointless question - no? :suicide:

Go listen....it's the ONLY way to tell.

5. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spiderv6,

I want your opinion anyway !

Regards,
    Mats

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    IMO the Bryston SP1.7 processor is a considerable step up in sound quality from the Arcam AV8, although it's a bit light on "features". The 9B-ST amplifier is a moderate step up from the Arcam P7 (although only 5 channels rather than 7). I've not listened to any of the newer SST series Bryston amps, but they are generally reckoned to be a significant improvement on the ST series. The top-of-the-line Bryston amp, the 7B-SST monobloc, is regarded by some people as close to the state of the art.

Bryston's pre-amplifiers are generally not so hot. The BP26 is good, but overpriced. The BP25 was merely all right. I have seen some good reviews of their integrated DAC upgrades, though.

There's a lot be said for equipment that is guaranteed for 20 years from the point of manufacture, regardless of how many owners it has had.

What Bryston devices are not, of course, is cheap. If you can find a friendly US or Canadian dealer it may be possible to get a good deal on Bryston imports, but this isn't simple - you have to worry about mains voltage, VAT, import duty, courier's fees, and whether or not Bryston's UK distributor will honour the Warranty on items bought from a foreign dealer.