Arcam Alpha Upgrades and Mods

liquidsmoke

Standard Member
Looking for some advice...

I have the following:
Arcam Alpha 9 Integrated Amp
Arcam Alpha 9 Power Amp
Arcam Alpha 8SE CD Player

What upgrades or mods can be done to my kit? Not looking to spend huge amounts, just something to breathe some life back into the amps (capacitors etc i have read a little about), and perhaps some kind of dac/clock upgrade on the alpha 8se cd – although i am tempted by alpha 9 cd players going cheap now on ebay...

I can solder alright with larger components, but kind of looking for some kind of guide to show me what to replace with what. I know a capacitor from a transistor, but I couldn't look at the innards of my equipment and tell what needs replacing with what...

Hope someone can help :)

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
If you haven't already, you would be amazed what benefits can be gained spending a day testing speaker positioning, some simple acoustic treatments etc etc. Also think about cleaner mains, isolation for the speakers, that kind of thing. Moving speakers a couple of foot in one direction or another can totally change the dynamics of the sound. Treating hugely obvious reflections on hard walls/floors again can be very influential on the sound

liquidsmoke

Standard Member
what do you recommend in the way of mains filtering? i live near a train track and can hear when a train is about to come by from the hum in the speakers!

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Furman are a big boy American brand which I have used in quite a few installs. Something like the Black Rhodium Mains Distribution, or the Isol-8 boes etc are nice, but the Furman is proper heavyweight. The Elite is around £400 and gives you 8 filtered IEC outs (4 audio, 4 video) and even runs your Sky dish feeds in and out so your whole system is closed loop through the Furman box.

Don't overlook the power of acoustics though (unless you have done so already). I have seen a lot of jobs where we sat down and just played a track, moved the speakers forward a foot, played the track again, moved them a bit more etc etc and found a sweetspot that really made a difference to the sound without having to lay out a penny.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom