Arcam Alpha CD Hum - transformers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by benchan, Aug 5, 2006.

Tags:
  1. benchan

benchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a second hand Arcam Alpha CD and my god, it souds wonderful. (In my opinion it sounds better than the Alpha 7 I used to own...)

Anyways the reason I'm posting is because although the CD player plays CD's perfectly I can hear an audible hum, I suppose, from the transformers. It doesn't bother me a lot because I only hear it when I put my ears within half a meter of the player when there's no music playing. However I'd like to know whether this is quite normal for this player or is there anything wrong with it? I recall my Alpha 7 had a very noisey transport - I could hear the high frequency noise it made whent the disc spun.

Thanks in advance.

2. danp

danp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Alpha One. It does not hum.
    Have you checked all of your cables?
    Are they crossing over other cables? Power cords etc?

3. benchan

benchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I removed the interconnect cables - but the hum/buzz is still coming from the unit it self.

As for power cable I removed all the other components' cable and the one for Arcam is the only one plugged in to the power supply.

I just want to make it clear but I don't hear any hum from the speakers.

Ben

4. tarasis

tarasis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure what policy is on thread necro. My Arcam Alpha 8 CD player has started to do this.

With everything disconnected except power there is a noticeable but quiet hum coming from the player (back left I believe) which gets noticeably louder and higher pitched when the on switch is pressed.

I presume one of the caps has died (fair enough I've had it 18 years) but lacking electrical skills and the tools I can't repair it myself.

Is it likely I can get it repaired somewhere without being fleeced? I'm a little reticent to buy a new CD player as I mostly stream (lossless) music from my computer to the amp but my wife & kids still use it from time to time.