1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam Alpha Advice.

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Bonzodogdick, Dec 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stereo system =

Alpha 7SE CD
    Alpha 8R Amp
    Alpha 7 Tuner
    Linn Axis T/T.
    KEF Q35.2 Speakers

Question (possibly a daft one!)

Just ordered a 42" plasma and got a Denon 2910 DVD player. As yet no surround amp/receiver (or proper surround speakers - just a pc type cheapo) . I truly love the sound my Arcam stereo makes and I dont want to put my Arcam stuff back into their boxes due to neglect, so is there a surround processor that I could run off my 8R amp out there that would do me for both my audio (Stereo) needs, and fulfill my home cinema needs aswell?

If theres an Arcam product that'd do the trick Id consider a 2nd hand model to keep the costs down. I can only really look at around £300.

Anybody got any ideas / advice? :thumbsup:

2. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There is not much out there that will do modern surround formats from Arcam that has depreciated to the £300 mark yet. Suggest looking at Yamaha or Dennon receivers that have a pre out for the front channels - this can be piped as an input to your Alpha 8 allowing it to drive the front pair. Matching the centre to the front pair will be the trick - try and listen to a couple of units and see how they will blend in. If you are not happy with the match, pick up a 2nd hand Arcam power amp at a later date and use it to drive the centre.

3. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dude,
    there is only one option here - and thats the yamaha DSP-E800 :)
    Originally £300 (can be bought new now for £160 or £180 in Superfi :) ), it's a surround processor which basically gives you the rear three channels and will also process the surround stuff for your fronts.

nice system btw - i have the same amp&CD player B&W 602s and a NAD 402 tuner :)

4. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Agreed - for the price its a top piece of kit, its a shame really that the processor market is so poorly supported at mid-range. I used to run the predecessor to this unit (the E400 I think) and it delivered excellent sound quality. Only one thing to note the E800 specifies that if it receives a 96Khz 24bit audio stream then this is only played in 2 channel (stereo). Not sure if this is a feature of this resolution but my players is set to output at this level if possible and I get full 5.1 DTS on my Marantz (not available any more but you can get the 4400 for £150 at Richersounds these days). The only issue I have with this unit (the Marantz) is that in auto mode it takes about half a second to decide what the audio stream is and for this period it mutes, this happens whenever the audio stream is interrupted (menu changes and layer change), which is annoying.

5. Palu

Palu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi,

I'm usiing also ARCAM stereo gear in combination with the DENON 2910.
    If you use the audio setting on the DENON 2910 called (SRS 2 cahnnel "on" ) you get a great surround sound for DVD over your two channel
    Its fabulous end no need for more hardware gear. Try it and mail me for the result.

Palu

6. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the Yam DSP E800 though not wired in yet

So thats my next question.

I wanna hear my movies in surround obviously, but I wanna retain the 'Arcam' sound for my stereo. How do I introduce the subbie through the Arcam for music duties? :)

7. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, you have an input in the back of the 8r labelled AV/DVD input. Hook your DVD player to the Yamaha – either via a co-ax digital link or 6 channels if your DVD player has on-board processing and you intend to use it. Connect the Pre-amp out from the Yamaha for the front two channels to the AV/DVD input on the 8R.

Leave the 7SE hooked into the Arcam 8R, and leave your front pair to be driven by the 8R.

Now hook up the centre, rear and if you have one, sub speakers to the Yamaha.

OK – on the front of the Arcam 8R is a button marked ‘Processor/normal’ when you hit this it will take the input signal from the Yamaha. This tells you Arcam amp not only to use the AV/DVD input but permits the Yamaha to act as a pre-amp – this means all volume changes made on the Yamaha will be reflected in your integrated Arcam 8R.

When you wish to listen to CD again – just hit the Processor/normal button and everything will return to normal – the Arcam will again control the volume.

Follow the instructions on the Yamaha for setting the sound level on each channel, then sit back and enjoy.