1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam Alpha 9 v NAD C352

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by GW43, Mar 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Any thoughts on which would be best? Used mainly for music (rock, indie etc.), although DVDs and the telly get plumbed through from time to time.

I like the Arcam sound from my old Alpha 5+. The Alpha 9s on E-Bay are going for around £250-270 plus postage, whereas the NAD C352 is around £300 new, so there's nothing in the price, and power outputs are about the same.

So - what's best? New NAD, or 4-5 year old Alpha 9?

2. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    If it was me I would buy the new NAD. I have trouble with my Alpha 9 crackling etc when I alter the volume, or change scource position. Probably just needs serviced, but my mates also does the same. Never heard a NAD amp so I cannot comment, but I think £300 is expensive for the an old Alpha 9 amp, mine only cost me £499 about 7 years ago new, so £300 sounds a bit of a rob to me. Arcam gear seems to keep its money well if it was japanese it would be worth peanuts. Just my opinion, others may differ!!

3. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Thanks Wokeye

I have seen your comments about the volume pot and selector switch repeated by other people, so perhaps its a common problem with this model. My 9 year old Alpha 5+ is fine in this regard, so it may be model specific.

I agree the prices seem high, but I've tracked several on E-bay and that's what they're making.

I'm having a bit of a re-think anyway, and looking at an A65 and then adding a power amp later for bi-amping. A 2nd hand P75 of older Alpha power amp would be ok - no volume controls or selector switches to worry about!