1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam Alpha 9 Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by marcus2704, Dec 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. marcus2704

marcus2704

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a Arcam Alpha 9 and 9P set-up and am having a problem and wondered if anyone can help.

After selecting any of the inputs (except Tape 2), I have to continually adjust the position of the control to an exact place whereby there is no static noise, or to where sound can be heard from both speakers. It sounds like wear and tear as Ive had it a number of years, but rather than buy a new amp, I wondered if there is a more reasonable fix to this problem. The fuzzy, static noise also comes and goes, but mostly its after a selection (CD, tuner etc) has been made. Tapping gently upon the surface of the case also effects the static noise, at times eliminating it, at others making it worse.

If anyone can assist I would be very grateful.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I would suggest contacting Arcam direct (or via your dealer) as it sound to me like the selector switch has worn out and needs replaceing, which is going to be a lot cheaper than replaceing the pair of amps (but if you do let me know, I'll offer you £5 for the pair :devil: ).

Mark.

3. teabelly

teabelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I also have an alpha 9 and it was making those staticy noises when changing inputs. If you take off the lid and squirt contact cleaner (maplin do a good one in a white spray can with red writing) on the switch from the inside and twizzle the knob back and forth a few times it will probably get rid of the problem. Leave it for an hour or so before using it to make sure all the cleaner has evaporated. I cleaned mine in this way and it has been pretty free from noise since then.

4. marcus2704

marcus2704

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Teabelly, I did exactly what you say, switched my amp on and it immediatly blew up in my face!

Not really, it worked a treat - if I ever bump into you remind me I promised to buy you a beer :)