• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Arcam Alpha 9 - help!

dynamiccoins

Standard Member
Hi,

I've had an Arcam Alpha 9 for a good few years now and a few years ago I got the selector switch replaced by Arcam because of the well known problem with it crackling.

The amp hasn't been used for a while but I decided to get it out and use it with my tv. So I hooked it up using the tv headphone socket to a splitter into the amp on tape 2....and it worked a treat and sounded great.

Then I found a thread about connecting the Tape 1 out to Tape 2 in to bypass the selector switch so I gave it a go (I did red to red, black to black).... and now I have a problem.

Whilst the Tape 1 to Tape 2 was still in place the volume control didn't work - I got output but turning the volume control made no difference and there was also a crackle affecting the sound. So I thought sod that I will just go back to connecting the tv directly to Tape 2...and after doing that (so no longer having the Tape 1 to Tape 2 in place) the volume control still has no impact to sound levels when turned and I still have the crackle.

God knows what I have done but atm I have gone from having it all ok to now having this problem. Could connecting the Tape 1 out to Tape 2 in have done something?

So now I can't use the amp either way and I am stumped.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks alot

spl23

Check the AV processor switch on the back of the amplifier - make sure it's on Normal and not on AV Processor. The AV Processor setting sets the tape 2 output to fixed gain and bypasses the volume control, which sounds like exactly what is happening to yours!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom