Arcam Alpha 8se CD player laser replacement

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Glencoe, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Glencoe

Glencoe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Arcam 8se CD Player and the laser needs replaced, I have bought a new one and I am half way through the job and I cannot figure out how to remove the laser head from the round sliding chrome bar on which the head slides back and forward. I have got this far without breaking anything and I would appreciate a couple of pointers how to release if from the plastic end caps.
    In anticipation, thanks
    Alasdair

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +561
    I can't help but if you figure it out let me know. I just took apart my Alpha 9 to see if I could figure it out how to replace the laser. Any tips you have would be very helpful as I have no idea what I'm doing!

3. Glencoe

Glencoe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once the black cover comes off the top you can see on the 8 anyway the unit more clearly and the chrome pin on which the led slides is visible. There are 2 plastic clips that look as though they lock the led in place but if you look closely one of them sort of unclips by sliding to the side and this allows the led to be removed, after that it is straightforward. Get in touch if this isn't too clear.
    Regards
    Alasdair

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +561
    Thanks you so much....I'll have another look later today and hopefully that will all make sense! Did your replacement laser fix your problem? I take it the 8SE also uses the Sony KSS240A? If so, where did you get it? Is it a genuine Sony part or one of the cheaper clones that seem to be everywhere? I have 2 Alpha 9's and a CD 23 all with seemingly faulty lasers so hoping to at least get one of the 3 back in action!

5. Glencoe

Glencoe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately it didn't, the tray opens takes in the cd all the lights are on seems to begin then nothing, it is definitely not the laser. Bought laser on ebay for about £17. Spoke to a hi fi repair shop and they have seen them with a similar problem and from memory I think he said it was something on the board which goes pear shaped. Should get it repaired as I think they are good units though not as good as they are cracked up to be if there are ongoing breakdowns.

6. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +561
    That's disappointing. I've had enough of Arcam things failing so would rather put money towards something else than pay to have any of my stuff repaired for fear of something else going wrong with it. I was hoping a new laser might put a bit of life back into one of my players though.

I'm still a bit stuck when it comes to removing the laser though. I've removed the transport completely and taken the top bit off so I can see the laser unit clearly but I can't figure out how to remove it from the rail. The plastic clips you refer to...do you mean the white plastic bits at either end of the chrome rail?

7. Glencoe

Glencoe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The white plastic pieces that lock the rail to the mounting, one end flicks across to release the rail, bear in mind I am talking about the 8 series.

8. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +561
    Brilliant, that worked! Now I just need to order a laser. I'm not holding out much hope for this machine as it was making some strange noises before I started but now you've got me this far I might tackle one of my other units when the laser arrives. Fingers crossed!

9. Glencoe

Glencoe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck and like yourself I am not overly impressed with the reliability of the unit.