Arcam Alpha 8 v Yamaha DSP -A3090

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by radders89, Sep 14, 2004.

Tags:
  1. radders89

radders89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may seem like a stupid query but here goes......

I have an Arcam Alpha 8 CD plaer and amp for my music and Ive recently bought a Yamaha DSP-A3090 (vintage digital av amp) from a friend for use with movies. I am using B&W front speakers.

I would like to retain the Arcam amp for music but use the digital amp for everything else, but obviously I can only connect the front speaker cable to one amp at any one time. Any suggestions on how to overcome this problem would be greatly appreciated.

radders89

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    I have done a quick internet search but cant find any details of your receiver. Does it have preouts for any of the speakers (phono outputs that have not gone through the amps)?
    If you do have preouts then all you need to do is connect these for the front L & R to the Arcam Alpha 8 DVD input.
    Put the switch on the back of the Arcam to 'Processor Mode'.
    Plug all HiFi gear into Arcam and DVD, TV etc into receiver.
    Connect the front L & R speakers to the Arcam only
    Connect all the surround speakers to the receiver.

To watch a DVD, TV etc put the receiver on to the correct input. Put Arcam to DVD input and you will get all the speakers working with the receiver controling the volume for all of them.
    To listen to music leave the receiver switched off and just use the Arcam for the stereo sound.

If your receiver does not have preouts then AFAIK the only way around the problem would be to put a switch box into the path between the speakers and each amp.

Mark.